Duncan Phyfe dresser refinishing

Reply to
nospambob

I have a dresser ( 40's or 50' s vintage)that the top only needs to be stripped, and refinished and the color is the typical deep red color on mahogany. I need some input on the color I need to use, I normally use Minwax but another brand is ok, and I also want to know how I can closely get it to match the color of the original finish on the rest of the piece. Age has darkened it somewhat and I thought there are some experts out there to help me get it close, any suggestions? Thanks, Mike Francis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net

Reply to
Mike Francis

This is always the delema when restoring furniture. It's very unlikly that you'll find an exact match in an off-the-shelf color. Minwax is fine. I use it all the time. Whatever you do DON'T SAND the peice. Use a chemical stripper. Sanding the peice will remove too moch color from the wood. What type of stripper depends on the finish. I prefer methyline cloride. If your peice is finished in shellac you may be able to stain just the scraches and put a new coat of shelac on. It will melt into the old. If your stain doesn't match excatly try adding some artist oils available at any art supply store. If your stain dries a different than expcted. put a coat of finish on is then spray with toners. There avalable at woodworkerssupply.com. Wood magazine had an article recently about using toners. Jeremy

Reply to
nyboy10128