Reconditioned Tools

I've been hesitant to buy reconditioned tools, the ones that have been reconditioned by the factory. However, I'm considering a Delta reconditioned scroll saw, the 40-570R from Amazon.

Anyone have good experiences with reconditioned tools?

The saw comes with a 6 mos warranty, but I can't find out how long the warranty is for 'new' tools.

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

Just wondering how hard you tried to find the length of the "new" tools warranty. Says right on the Amazon website for the 570 (not R) that the warranty is 2 years. Also, if you go to the Delta website, there is contact information for the company, as well as stating that the warranty on the replacement for the 570 is 2 years.

I can't comment on buying reconditioned over new, however.

Clint

Reply to
Clint Neufeld

Yes, and it's been positive experience.

A new Delta 40-570 carries a two year warranty (an "R" at the end of the model number indicates a refurbished unit).

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

My DeWalt SCMS is a refurb. Saved me $100 and even came with a better blade than what I see at the big box stores. It's been a good tool for me so far. I've had it about a year and built my son's fort/swing set with it.

I almost bought a refurb DeWalt planer, but it doesn't come with the dust hood and extra knives like the new one. After adding that stuff to the refurb, it's the same price as a new one. So sometimes buying new is better.

Reply to
Joe Wells

Hmmm.. I looked at two different scroll saws on Amazon from Delta and didn't see the warranty. Should have looked at the Delta site since I had it open. DOH!

Thanks for the info

Cl> Just wondering how hard you tried to find the length of the "new" tools

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

Reply to
Gerald Ross

My experience with refurbished is my local hardware guy gave me (that's free) a Porter Cable ROS that a customer had complained about and which he sent off several times. The last time the customer brought it back saying it wouldn't work Rusty just gave him his money back and passed the sander on to me (with a package of disks). In the 8 or 9 years I've had it I haven't had a single problem. The only thing I can figure the guy was talking about was that the disc does not spin until you touch the work. If that was the problem, I don't know why it was since I've chewed up a lot of sand paper through that "non-working" machine.

At any rate, you get (in your case) a 6 month warrantee for reduced price. I didn't get a warrantee but what do you expect for free?

Reply to
Scratch Ankle Wood

I bought a Craftsman circular saw almost 30 years ago. It is still working. More recently, I bought a M-K tile saw and it is still going strong. My brother borrows it everytime he can find some side work. It came with two used diamond blades which have more cutting surface than a new one.

Unless there is a design problem with the tool that is left uncorrected, consider the tool to have survived a 'burn in' test. Most things electric/electronic either die quick or last fairly long.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Two. Both good. PC 333 ROS and Delta's 12in drill press. Intend to buy my Plate Joiner (PC 557) reconditioned from Tool King and save $30-50.

Reply to
tnfkajs

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

I bought a refurbised Makita Drill from Amazon. The charger didn't work when I received it. Amazon took care of it immediatly. I've had the drill for about a year now. It gets general use and I've had no problems.

HTH, Jo

Reply to
John

I bought a reconditioned Delta Stock Feeder from some business off of ebay. When I got it, the reversing switch didn't work, and the motor didn't sound right. I contacted Delta, and they told me the "company" I bought it from wasn't an authorized dealer for reconditoned tools. So I contacted the seller and passed along that info, and I returned it. My point is make sure the seller is authorized! I ended up buying a new unit with a rebate deal, and it had damage, but it was fixed very fast!

Reply to
ToolMiser

I've bought many reconditioned tools with no problems what so ever.

Many times tools are returned with the boxes opened and the tools unused to the borgs. The borg in return shoots them back to the manufacturers who check them out, R&R where necessary and sell them off at a discount. so far, I've purchased the same scroll saw from Amazon, a Dewalt 621 router, a Dewalt trim router, a Bosch jig saw, and a Bosch 1617 router. they are all going strong.

Reply to
Mike

I got a reconditioned 12V Makita cordless drill from Harbor Freight. AFAICT, it is just like new.

************************************ Chris Merrill snipped-for-privacy@christophermerrillZZZ.net (remove the ZZZ to contact me) ************************************
Reply to
Chris Merrill

The ones I looked at, it didn't seem to be on the newer models. But their website had the warranty information anyways.

Have fun with the new toy, no matter which one you buy!

Clint

Reply to
Clint Neufeld

Me too. I've bought several over the years, and agree with the other positive comments. My reconditioned drill finally died, but I used it hard for something like 10 years.

I haven't bought any big stuff, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so. Especially not if I could get a look-see first hand. Reman stuff is not all alike. Sometimes you get something that's been used hard and shows it (in spite of being in good working order) and sometimes you get something that the previous owner unloaded for some silly reason, which can't be resold as new, even though it might as well be.

Would you rather have a rebuilt '71 Impala that was used for 30 years, or a rebuilt '71 Impala that sat in some little old lady's garage for 30 years?

Reply to
Silvan

All of the reconditioned Delta tools I've bought came with a six month warranty, as opposed to a 1 or 2 year included with a "new" tool.

This isn't an issue for me, and I continue to seek out reconditioned stuff over new, as the overall value is usually better.

One caveat, the cheaper the tool, the less sense it makes to go for recon. I've seen $99 tools going for $80-85 reconditioned, and $500 tools going for $250. In this case, I'd buy the new version of the $99 tool.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I bought a DW cordless drill - clutch, variable speed at Harbor Freight. (This was after the big D and not much money but needed one since the majority of my shop stuff was gone. . .) Got the 12V for $39. Two batteries, charger and of course that great travelling case! LOL! That was two years ago - still running strong and not a problem.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

For $15 I'll take the full warranty and a _perfect_ tool, right now. For $250, I can deal with a few scratches, missing box, a shorter warranty, and the wait for the tool to arrive.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

A couple of years ago I bought a reconditioned air compressor at the Borg. It had a couple little rust spots on the handle loop, a bit of scratching on the paint and one of the quick connects was missing (necessary to use). I paid about $200 for a $350 compressor and it came with a 3 year (same as new) warranty. The guy in the drool, er,

*tool* department told me that they had very few of those compressors come back, what he suspected was that someone had purchased it for a specific job. Used it for the duration of the job then brought it back for a refund. Told me it happens that way all the time. According to him the vast majority of "remanufactured" tools are on the market because people are just trying to rip off the Borgs. His claim was that usually he could take a tool that had been returned as "defective" and turn it on and use it right away, with no adjustment, checking or anything. They send them back to an authorized reman center where they get checked and then sent back to a Borg for resale.

I buy remanufactured when possible because it is usually a heck of a deal. I'm not hung up on having new tools, I just want the most tools for the least money.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass