recommended topcoat for desk

I am contemplating the topcoat finish for a desk I am completing. I've fumed the white oak desk, have rubbed on/off 5 coats of boiled linseed oil, and will next apply 2 coats of dewaxed shellac (first coat thinned 50% with denatured alcohol) as a sealer and to impart even more depth.

My question: I'm looking for a topcoat that is durable and that I can apply well (I'm no expert and I do not own spray equipment). I originally thought that Deft's nitrocellulose lacquer, that comes in a spray can (satin sheen), would be a good choice due to its ease of application. However, on my test piece it scratches and mars extremely easily -- I need something more durable.

Any ideas? As I said, I'm seeking (a) easy application, preferably from a spray can, (b) scratch resistance, (c) something that does not dull or muddy the surface, (d) in a satin sheen. I suspect that I will have to sacrifice repairability for durability (probably need a conversion rather than an evaporative finish).

PLEASE, if you respond, provide not just the ideas you may have, but also specific brand names and product details. I'd love to be able to find the finish at my local Home Despot or OSH, etc. And, thanks to anyone with ideas in advance!

Reply to
Mike
[...]

A sheet of glass?

c) and d) are mutually exclusive, the satin sheen means that the liht is scattered on the surface in a random way, obscuring the view of the wood surface proper, so that it will appear dulled.

Woodcraft sells a product called "Mirror Coat", a 2 component epoxy that gets poured onto the (level!) surface and cures into a hard finish:

't tried myself...

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Nitro lacquer takes about three weeks to cure. Prior to curing it is easily scratched.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

is everything safe to apply over shellac? poly? varnish? lacquer?

Reply to
Bob