Stripping a Coffee Table

Hi, I want to strip the varnish off a solid pine coffee table I've been given. I'm a bit of a novice and don't know whether to initially use a chemical stripper or electric (vibrating plate) sander. I know that once I've got the worse off I'll have to hand sand it with increasingly fine paper to get it smooth prior to retreating.

Reply to
Ricardo

Depends how thick the varnish is and how nice the wood below is. I have even left things out in the rain for a few weeks to do the worst of the stripping by nature. Then, get a chemical or blow lamp on it if the paint/varnish is really thick. Otherwise, if a very fine coat, just sand it. Do not re-varnish it - looks crap. Instead buy some Danish Oil or similar and oil it. The finished effect will be much nicer. Remember that pine is a wood that goes DARKER with exposure to light, as opposed to most other wood going ligher.

HTH Rob

Reply to
Kalico

Use Ronstrip, 7 quid from B&Q

Reply to
Dauber

Thanks guys. When it's stripped I intend to use a wood dye on it to darken it down, then wax it. Sound okay?

Reply to
Ricardo

Sounds fine

Reply to
Kalico

SNIP

Reply to
LP

Walnut. Typically light colored woods will darken, and when exposed to sunlight, dark colored woods will lighten.

Reply to
Nova

Fading, no?

Reply to
Kalico

Chemical stripper then hand sanding with the grain, then use sanding sealer for final sanding followed by a few coats of good quality antique pine wax." Mouse

Reply to
Mouse