Picture of first furniture project on APBW

Even though it's furniture I posted 2 pictures of my desk on APBW. All of my detractors can have a field day picking it apart. The rest of you, please offer constructive advice on how to improve on it so that the next time I will do better. There's so much to learn! Coopering, wood bending, veneering, and at the rate I'm going I'll be dead of old age before I try out all the techniques! Or I'll be in the poor house from buying more tools. :)

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Never said I wasn't dyslexic: Make that ABPW.

DAVE

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

What the hell is ABPW?

Reply to
John Doe

It's our sister newsgroup for posting binaries (pictures).

Proper name is alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

Dave - your talking about the desk? What is there to pick apart? It looks great. Nice work.

Reply to
Rob V

Looks nice Dave!

If you used poly, you should have used shellac. What, you used shellac? You should have used poly for a desk!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

You did a good job. Too bad you had to cheapen it by lying about using plans. That's the same exact desk that was in Wood magazine a few months ago.

I don't quite get it, is it un-manly to use plans? Are we suppossed to be impressed with your superior abilities because you didn't use plans?

Are you ever not a horse-dick?

People want to know, Rich

Reply to
Rich

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

yeah! and I paid too much for everything that went into it! :) Except for the drawer slides.

dave

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

tsk, tsk, it isn't from any plans, Rich...

Lying seems to be your standard modus operandi.

dave

Rich wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Very nice!! The only thing that I see that you can improve on are the drawer fronts. It appears that they may be glue-ups. To improve the esthetics you can either use a solid piece or more carefully match the grain. Other than that, nice job for a first piece.

Jeff Zahnle

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Reply to
Jeff Zahnle

thanks, there was some discussion about how wide a solid piece should be. I ended up doing glue-ups before I realized I could have used solid pieces. There's always NEXT time, though! I was too frugal with the lumber I had bought for the project.

dave

Jeff Zahnle wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

First furniture project?? You've had practice Dave. Looks great.

-- Ed. O. My woodworking projects at:

the NAIL from e-mail to reply

Reply to
Ed. O.

That's right, I forgot. You pay too much for everything!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Hey Dave,

I looked at your desk and have to say you did a great job. I read a few of the other comments, but I don't really see anything major wrong with it. Actually, I don't even see anything really "wrong" at all. Every project is a learning experience, so whatever you take away for the next one makes it all good. I'm about to post on my latest project, and I'll tell you, I'm still pretty annoyed by the stupid mistakes I make that add up to big "goofs" in the final product. Things like that really make me have even more respect for the craftsman that put work together nearly "perfect" and do it probably 10 times faster than I ever will (and I doubt I'll ever even approach perfection).

What's next on the list?

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

To Both Mike and Dave, There is no such thing as perfection when it comes to woodworking, For years I have always wanted to hang my shingle and say 'Hers George Practicing Woodworking" I have been at it for years a good many and I humbly submit that I am Good, Well let me rephrase that, I'm damn good, That being said I have never ever made a perfect piece, the day that I fell that I did, I will Quit. I'm still practicing and still learning Dave I would like to see a pic of your desk It happened that I do not have that post on APBW But have read all of the post about it.

Good Luck, George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Thanks for your approval, Mike! I pretty much agree with all of the constructive comments about the desk. I had some reservations about some of the details, and they were pointed out to me over on ABPW. Like the pencil drawer; it's centered between the stiles, but not in the space where you sit, because of the stub of a stile on the right side.

What's next? Probably a little end table for SWMBO for next to her favorite little SWMBO-sized rocker. OR, a letter tray for my desk. :)

What are you about to post? You get a lot more done in the same amount of time than I do. I think I don't spend enough time in the shop.

dave

Mike > Hey Dave,

Reply to
Bay Area Dave