Undercoat/Topcoat?

I've just fixed some pine quadrant, where the worktop meets the wall-tiles. I've given it 2 coats of 'Valspar all purpose primer/undercoat for wood and metal' (circa 1980's).
It's cream/off white colour, it dries to a sheen, somewhere between gloss and matt. "Great, it matches the rest of the kitchen perfectly" says the missus. The problem is, I've bought some brilliant white topcoat.
I could add another layer of undercoat. Are there any characteristics, which prevent it being used as a topcoat - it's likely to get splashed. TIA.

The primer/undercoat's purpose is to bind the upper coats to the base material and so it has an open porous structure, it will wear poorly and stain easily (sorry).
Oil based eggshell is my choice for a durable soft sheen finish, I use the Dulux Trade one although I would be happy to try the Leyland/Johnstone brand next time, I've found their trade counter staff to be knowledgeable & helpful..
--
fred
"fred" < wrote in message

writes

Thanks Fred, that's what I needed to know. I should have posted before I shopped, as the brilliant white I mentioned, is Crown Non Drip Gloss. What attracted me were the words "for use inside and out on wood and metal". I'll give it a couple of coats of Crown, if it doesn't wear well, I'll rub down with s/paper and give the Dulux a try.
.

The problem is its matt, so wil get dirty and not wipe clean. you could varnish it, or get some top coat colour matched.
NT

The problem is its matt, so wil get dirty and not wipe clean. you could varnish it, or get some top coat colour matched.
Thanks NT, it's between a gloss and a matt, so it does have a slight sheen. I'll use my topcoat in the meantime. Next year I'll check out Dulux's cream or off-white.