Lidl Detail Sander

I have a green bosch DS that is single speed and has 180W and performs ok but it feels like the motor is running at max power so the sander requires a firm 2 handed grip to hold it on a position. The Parkside 260W has variable speed and requires no effort to use Cost £15 and in my branch there were plenty left.

Having said all that I was in Aldi yesterday and they have a 280W version that was even cheaper.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Arthur 51

Just noticed that they've still got at least two of the sliding mitre saws from last Monday available in my branch (Warwick). From the picture on the box they're pretty definitely compound mitre jobbies - very similar to the ones sold by Argos.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Do you necessarily want a more powerful sander though ?

If you take too much off as result of over-enthusiasm it's going to be an awful lot harder to try and put it back on than is taking a bit longer by using a less powerful tool.

The fact that the Bosch sander is moving about is probably as much the result of the weight of the tool, combined with the grade of paper being used and the material you're sanding as much as anything else.

Also I've heard it said that the power ratings on prestige brands such as Bosch are more likely to be a true reflection of their actual output than are some of the rather optimistic ratings stamped on the motor plates of some of the cheaper brands. Bosch can sell on the strength of their name alone, only the nomark brands have to sell on their claimed wattage. That's the story anyway.

michael adams

michael adams

If you want a detail sander that actually works, then look at one of the Multimaster clones[1]. The oscillating action seems so much more effective than the orbital one of the normal detail sanders. Paper lasts longer as well.

[1] Makro were knocking out a Rockworth branded one at £29 the other week which felt to the hand at least to be a fair close in design and weight. They had the Bosch PMF180 as well.
Reply to
John Rumm