Rechargable batteries

"Charlie Self" wrote

LOL ... I've got a 3.6 volt Black & Decker "PivotDriver" that I always grab for quickie cabinet "hardware" jobs, like mounting slides on the sides of drawers, or under drawer hardware for those snap-in undermount drawer slides ... did just that to 22 drawers in a kitchen in new construction just this morning.

This little "Harry Homeowner" grade tool will drive a couple hundred 7/16" screws into maple drawer sides on one "versapack" charge, weighs less than

10 oz, and when the power runs out on the last drawer, can be used as a screwdriver in a pinch ... AAMOF, that is a handy feature because I can drive a screw most of the way home on the battery, then torque it down just right, by hand, without removing the bit from the screw ... gotta love it for that.

Sheeesssh ... never thought I'd be bragging on a B&D product! ;)

But, if I could find a better cordless screwdriver, this same handy size and with a more powerful battery, I'd buy it in a New York minute.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

I used to be an electronic technician and worked with many techies, both electronic and engineering. Almost all of them had a small, rechargable screwdriver like the one you mentioned. It was just the thing for getting into the guts of a metal box. And they would be used to reassemble the box after the repair was made. It really speeded up the process.

I also used them when taking equipment in and out of 19" racks. I hear in the old days, they used to use the venerable yankee screwdriver for these tasks. You don't really want anything bigger than the absolute minimum size for these tasks.

Another rechargable goodie in the modern techies toolbox is the portable soldering iron.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

We have never owned a cordless sawzall. The only ones I have used have been others that were handy to grab and the second I pull the trigger I usually put them down. I could see where they may be handy but those times are so few and far between that packing another tool/case around isnt worth it to us. Every one I have ever run feels like it could shatter to a million pieces in your hands at any time.

The only one I have ever used was the PC 19.2 I mentioned. It was pretty impressive when new. The specs said it would cross cut something like 200 2x4's on a single charge and it sure seemed like it would when it was new. It doesnt operate like that any more even with new batteries. Its real handy for cutting off lookouts on a roof or trimming rafter tails. Light, and so on. If they werent so damn expensive I would buy a corded PC trim saw but man those are high.

They are still available as far as I know. I see those guys on the router workshop using them every weekend. Nothing I would have a need for and I cant say I would use one that often when I am in the shop.

Mark

Reply to
BDBConstruction

Yes. No sensible person wants more hanging on his hand or belt than necessary; if a 14.4 will do the job, an 18 or 24 doesn't make sense.

Money. The tools cost more; replacement batteries cost way more than I paid for my first car.

I don't think so. I thought it was funny a few months ago when one of the woodworking magazines did a report on cordless tools, and the writer said the only thing missing was a battery-powered router. I took one look at that 19.2 and never even asked for one to try out. It looked as if it had to be horribly top heavy, not a great condition for a router.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I think Bosch's little L-O 10 volt is probably better, but someone swiped mine before I could find out.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I was just about to ask if anyone had any experience(s) with that very driver. I am tired of lugging the Makita 18v NiMH though it must be four years old now and still on the same two batteries. And, as someone already noted, there are frequent cabinet installation situations where its size is a limiting factor.

- Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

I have the Idrive and carry it on my belt most all the time when I am doing interior work. It is very handy as I am always trying to reduce the impact of repetetive actions on the body (trying to prolong the pain/arthritis free portion of life). I do this right down to turning a screwdriver. When we are trimming out electric we always use offset screwdrivers for the speed and redced impact on your wrists. This is why I carry the I drive though not for electric. I most always carry a phillips in my belt and while the Idrive is about a zillion times heavier than a screwdriver, for the amount of times I use it the bit of extra weight is offset by the wrist fatigue it saves.

My $0.02 on the Idrive I would have to say #1 it is heavy. I ordered it from our lumberyard and when it landed I was surprised how heavy it was. I carry it in a Quikdrive screw pouch. As a side note, this pouch came with a quickdrive screwgun we have and the pouch is absolutely awesome. I carry wonderbars, catspaws, the I drive, hammer tackers, and all sorts of long tools you dont want hanging out of a loop (or wont hang). Its a great little pouch. Anyway, other than the weight I like the Idrive a lot. The head is very compact, I will say you have to have a very "positive" bit especially for phillips because without exerting a lot of force inline with the screw (typical of offset screwdrivers) they will jump and cam out a lot. I dont use the clutch too often as I have never found a clutch, mechanical or electronic, that would accommodate real world materials. They always over/under drive. I mostly leave the Idrive on the last two or drill settings. I cant honestly say that the Idrive would drive 100's of 7/16 screws into hardwood though I have never tried. We just finished a hard maple kitchen and installing doors and slides the Idrive got a workout with hinge/slide screws using truss head cutting tip screws. I have become an impact junkie so perhaps I am spoiled by their speed and power.

What I will say, is the Bosch 10v Impactor is an impressive tool. Truley tiny, power, you can stuff it in your jeans front pocket if needed. They both have their place, and both are pricey (150 or less for the I drive and close to 200 for the impactor) but I think they are a snapshot of the future. Power in a very small package.

Mark

Reply to
BDBConstruction

Personally I dont think the drive for the bigger tools is coming from mfrs. wanting to increase their gross sales dollars. Just because a tool costs more doesnt mean the mfr makes more GP which is their ultimate goal. Of course an item could be sold at a much lower GP than desired but volume would offset the lower GP I dont think that is the case for high voltage tools.

I think the high voltage cordless tools are driven by the tim the toolman mindset though it may be fading. This is the same mindset that drives the SUV, Hummer, 4 Dr, 4WD, Dually, Diesel, craze. Its just what you see in all the ad's. A big strapping stud, with leather work gloves, with a 2 9/16" selffeed chucked up in a cordless no less, punching through a couple 2x's. Big, leafy chips flying in slow motion, a grimmacing face barely able to control the overwhelming power of the tool. One of the most common ad's I see is a Dewalt cordless boring a hole that no tradesman would ever consistantly drill with a cordless. It would be like a plumber punching 20 studs for a 2" line with a cordless. Thats a job where you get out the Holehawg and make some money, not grab the cordless.

My feeling is it consumer driven thought it may be a little late,

Mark

Reply to
BDBConstruction

Mon, Feb 25, 2008, 2:06pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth: Any thoughts or suggestions?

My thought is, all this merely reinforces my decision to stick with corded drills.

Both of my sons own, and use, at their jobs, battery tools. Because they often work at job sites with no power available, thus require them. At home, I don't think either uses battery tools, just corded tools.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

What I like about non-NiCd batteries is the lack of self discharge.

Since I don't use the tools every day, they sit well in the bag or cabinet, simply waiting for me, good to go!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I have' one!

A 12v powered DeWalt charger.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

most of our cordless use is driving and small holes (1/2" and under) in wood. Anything other than that and the cord comes out. The 12 and

14v impacts are perfect for us.

Mark

I used 9.6 volt for yeeeeears...Well, actually when Panasonic came out with the first 9.6 and 12 volt drills. I only recently stopped up to 12 volt because the 9.6 batteries were getting hard to find.

Reply to
Leon

"Lee Michaels" wrote

AAMOF, down through the years I've got up a specific toolbox for almost every job/interest, and this particular tool was indeed purchased for my "computer toolbox" back in the days when I built and maintained all the servers/workstations in our little internet company.

Reply to
Swingman

Well corded is a must have and I have a couple but the clutch on the cordless drills is a nice feature that would probably cut deeply into battery drill sales, so we will probably never see one.

Reply to
Leon

For me, if I was working on a site that had no power and wanted to insure my days pay, the last thing I would rely on is a cordless tool. I would have a small 1.5 or 2 KW genset (carry with one hand) or a true sine inverter in the truck. I may still have the cordless but I surely wouldnt rely on them for my days pay. Too short sighted. An even further suck factor for cordless tools is many of the chargers will not perform, or perform at 1/2 power or less, on genset or inverted (not true sine) power. This means plugging them in to a generator or low end inverter may result in slow charging or majic smoke. Buying dedicated 12vdc chargers is a further nudge toward a good small genset.

Mark

Reply to
BDBConstruction

Unless the 24 uses "A" sized cells instead of "C" sized. Higher voltage and lower current CAN have limitted advantages.Voltage does not necessarilly mean more weight - and the opposite CAN occur.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

A good friend is building an airplane with a 7.2 Makita. Battery went south years ago, and he had it wired to a 12 volt lead acid battery with lampcord. Worked good, but for 1/8" drills in aluminum the speed was still a bit slow. He hooked 2 batteries in series, and the 7.2 is merrily ponchin' 'oles on 24 volts. Every couple evenings he just hooks the batteries in parallel on the automatic 12 volt charger and he's ready to go for another few days

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Wed, Feb 27, 2008, 4:59pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (BDBConstruction) doth sayeth: For me, if I was working on a site that had no power and wanted to insure my days pay, the last thing I would rely on is a cordless tool. I would have a small 1.5 or 2 KW genset

Normally I would agree. However, they only need to drill a hole or two, maybe cut a 2X4, 2X6, etc. One does heating and air, the other refrigeration. In their case it would take them more time getting a genset out and setting it up than just using a battery tool. In their situation, battery tools actually make sense.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

So I'm cruising the tool isle at COSCO tonight and LOOKEE THERE! A genuine Skil Model 2410 10.8 Lithium Ion drill/driver - and ONLY $29.99 which is $40 less that Le Grande Orange:

Lemmethinkaboutit-I'lltakeit. How can you go wrong? I guess the Bosch will have to wait till I burn this one up - maybe sooner than I think?

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

And I thought >> I