old (large!) compressor oil level question

I bought a used compressor and intend to change out the oil and install a HTF auto tank drain on it. The air pump does not have a dipstick or sight glass on it. Since the oil bung was in a tough location, most of the old oil ended up on the floor and could not be replaced with a similar volume. The pump is a Vee twin or four cylinder (thought is was a two, but the heads have a "8"-ish shape to them.. Pics are posted on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking). Can anyone recommend an oil level relative to the crank or other point? Also, where can I learn more about this machine.. The 60?gal tank has a welded tag identifying it a 1956 John Wood of Conshohocken Penna. The motor is a 3 hp single phase AJAX, and this bad boy weighs in at about 400#.

many thanks!

Reply to
Eric Ryder

Only 400#'s??? No dip stick, or sight glass? Could the sight glass have been painted over? Is the fill hole vertical or does it face up? Typically vertical/fill locations are filled until the oil begins to pour out.

Reply to
Leon

Not a 4 cylinder - 2. Can't tell if it's a single stage or a two stage, but with what looks like both cylinders being the same size and the manner in which it's plumbed (air intakes), I'd guess two cylinder single stage. It looks like there is a site window behind the green valve handle. That round thing. It may be painted over by the looks of it. See if you can clean some of the blue paint off of the center of it. I'll bet you find a site window under there.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I'm curious Mike, what leads you to say not a 4 cyl compressor?

Reply to
Leon

Maybe it has oval cylinders.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

I doubt that but that seems as likely as a single cylinder and piston under each head. I'm not an expert buy have replaced the reed valves on a compressor and it is quite common for a rectangular exterior cylender to have 2 cylenders. I was wondering if Mile had some kind of knowledge of there being retangular cylendars with 1 piston and cylinder in each. This being an old compressor I guess there could be the possibility that there are a couple of actual valves in the cylinder that would occupy the rest of the space similar to old lawn mower engines, flat head V-8s.

Reply to
Leon

The fill is top dead center between the cylinders. Mike hit it right on the nose. There is a painted-over sight glass behind the ball valve in the picture (held in by six really good sized bolts!). A little lacquer thinner cleared her right up. There is no gradation on it, so I'd presume that center of the sight glass is ideal? That would put the oil level even with the lower edge of the crankshaft diameter.

I'm guessing at the 400# number... I loaded it into a tilt trailer with a winch and took it out with a backhoe. Good thing about a bad back, you don't try the impossible anymore:)

Thanks gents, any more advice about the care and feeding of these old brutes? Thanks!

Reply to
Eric Ryder

The intake and exhaust look to be just one each per side.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yeah, that does not necessarily mean only 1 piston and cylinder per bank. My particular compressor has a single intake and exhaust, and has 2 pistons and cylinders in that bank. Typically these compressors have reed valve plates that fit between the head and the cylinder. These reed valve plates act as intake and exhaust manifolds. My compressor had developed a loud squeaking noise that was coming from around the the head area. Removing the head revealed a failed gasket that let the air leak from one intake valve chamber into the next intake valve chamber. Because the leak was small the compressor would still fill the tank but much slower. I ended up having to replace the gasket and reed valve plate. Now the compressor fills in about half the time and is much quieter. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I'll accept that. I might have jumped the gun with my original response. I can easily see a reed valve arrangement working.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

To be fair, there was nothing inherently wrong with your assumption. I knew that my compressor was a double cylinder in a single bank but until I pulled the head and reed valve plate off it was difficult to understand how all that worked in there. Not totally unlike some 2 stroke engine where the intake air path is not as direct as one might think.

Reply to
Leon