Question about old heating oil tank

My heating oil tank is pretty old, and is located in my basement. I have no idea how much rust might be inside it. Is there any way to gauge it's structural integrity and approximate remaining lifespan? And should it spring a leak one day, is there any trick for quickly patching an oil leak just until a new tank can be installed? They say that with leaky automobile gas tanks, you can rub a bar of soap into the hole and it would hold for a while, would that work?

- Logic316

"Science is not a sacred cow. Science is a horse. Don't worship it. Feed it."

Reply to
Logic316

they sell plastic pans that fit under the tank to catch leaks; you're supposed to eyeball it frequently enough, i guess. i presume any leak from rust will start out slowly, rather than just blow.

i note that commercial buildings around here which install new oil tanks outside now put them in a large concrete bathtub which would hold the entire tank contents.

It is pretty difficult to do a meaningful inspection of an oil tank that is filled or partially filled. Thats why some insurers demand that old tanks be replaced. The leak could vary from lots of dripping to a blowout. Blowouts usually happen when the tank is being filled.

Reply to
George

Lots of rust would be clogging your filter all the time. Ask the burner service man how the filter looks.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

You continue to amaze me with your cheapness and stupidity. Its obvious your tank is old and an accident waiting to happen. Why not do it now before you tank leaks/busts/ruptures? You obviously will do it yourself since you seem to know everything. How hard is it to go buy a tank with the screw on legs, get a buddy and a dolly and a

12 pack and put a new one in place? Make sure you put a bottom drain with shut-off to periodically drain off the bottom contents to remove water and sediment. Put the whole tank in a pan. Convert it to a two pipe change your filter and nozzle and you are good to go. With the excess oil you burn being a tightass tuning your own boiler, surely you wont mind spending a few hundred bucks to change out your tank. Bubba
Reply to
Bubba

I know I'm feeding a troll here, but what if somebody's in a situation where he's planning to sell the house soon anyway? Didn't think of that, did you?

- Logic316

Expert:(n) from EX as in 'has been' and SPURT, 'a little drip under pressure'.

Reply to
Logic316

Actually a new tank is a selling feature, you hype the brand new tank rather than trying to hide an old tank. A property inspection may find the old tank and would probably cause the buyer to offer a lower price because he will find out that he will need to replace it.

Reply to
EXT

How much do they go for?

- Logic316

"Before I criticize a man, I walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Reply to
Logic316

Yes, however It would be very expensive.

No, no tricks.

I do not belive so.

-zero

Reply to
zero

If thereis ANY question, drain and replace the tank. Any idea how long it takes to get the smell of furnace oil out of a basement?????

Reply to
clare

If you change it now the new buyer won't knock your price down due to an oil poluted basement.

Reply to
clare

I acquired a used air compressor tank that I wanted to verify was safe. I talked to the "boiler and pressure vessel" inspector for the city, who volunteered to drop by and checked multiple locations on the tank for thickness using a handheld ultrasonic thickness guage. So yes, it should be possible. Finding the tool, or someone to do it might be a problem.

Reply to
Bob F

in the case of a home sale they will want a certified guaranteed inspection.

no doubt that will cost more than a new tank

Reply to
hallerb

So then in your translation what you are saying is: You have an old oil tank, you know it is rusting through, you know it is in bad shape BUT you want to Fuck the guy who is buying the home. Same ol Same ol. Get it replaced and move on. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Call a competent oil company tech in and pay to have it looked at. You can also have the oil company come in and pump the tank out and inspect it. YES, you will have to pay for that. Call a competent oil company or oil tech and have them give you a price on replacing your tank. Most will probably be able to give you an idea of that price over the phone.

"Didnt think of ANY of that, did you?"

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Sure. Shove a bar of soap up your ass. When you fart, bubbles will form.

Reply to
HVAC

Sure. Shove a bar of soap up your ass. When you fart, bubbles will form.

Reply to
HVAC

Thanks, but at this point I've determined that to be an oxymoron.

- Logic316

"ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.earth -- reboot universe? (Y/N)"

Reply to
Logic316

It's a high-gloss enamel coated floor. Unlikely any dripping oil would contaminate the concrete or ground under it. And with the oil pooling on top of the floor with no place to go, it would be kind of hard for me to not notice a leak. Of course, the way the oil company guys tend to carelessly spill oil onto the ground next to the filler spout by the side of my house, well, maybe I won't get into that.......

- Logic316

"Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get."

Reply to
Logic316

Please post your witty retort again as we didn't get it the first two times dipstick. I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.

Reply to
ftwhd