Re: test

woodchucker wrote in news:srWdnQWnBKnz4z3InZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Haven't been able to get any messages today.

Haven't seen any either. Project updates, anyone?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Martin Eastburn

I had been on a little vacation, maybe the same as with others, being absen t.

Have been working on the trestle table top, little by little. Lately, I h and cut mortises and made loose tenons, for butting/mating the table top bo ards together. The boards' surfaces are not perfectly aligned, so I'll ha ve to sand a little, to get them even.

Three board table top, total ~47" wide, 11' long. Though planed, each boa rd (being so large) still was not perfectly flat, so the mated surfaces, a t the edges, are not perfectly aligned. Once assmebled, I'll belt/hand sa nd the surfaces even, along the mated edges. I think I was lucky to get th e mortises/tenons correct enough, that parts of some sruface/edges' alignme nt are off by only a 32nd", at most.

For this large of boards and though the boards had air dried for 2 years, a nd it's been another year that I began work, the boards are still "moving", because of temp and/or humidity (in my shop). I'll have to accept, that the boards are not likely to remain even/stable, once it's finished, even t hough the table will end up in an air conditioned (more stable) environment , than in my shop. I suppose the under-side bracing/support, for attachin g to the legs, will help prevent some tabletop movement, but not all.

The thick legs (root ball slabs 3.5" thick) had been mortised, for the tres tle board fitting. The legs have since "moved", also, i.e., further air d rying, so the mortise's alignment with the trestle board tenons (1" thick & 5" wide), no longer fit perfectly, as when first cut. It didn't take too much tweaking to fix this misalignment, though. This kind of movement ma y not stop, until the finished table is in a more stable environment..... h ope so, anyway!

Will take pics, later today, to show some of this.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

My daughter is starting graduate school in August. Different school, differ ent city, different housing. Last year I built her a full size platform bed , tall enough to fit those 18 gallon plastic totes underneath. The room in the house she was sharing was small and the bed barley fit between the desk and the wall. No room for a nightstand.

In August we're moving her into much bigger room in a much bigger house, so I want to build her a simple night stand, tall enough to match the height of her bed.

I was thinking of something like this. Easy to build, rustic enough to matc h her bed frame, and I probably have enough material lying around:

DerbyDad03

erent city, different housing. Last year I built her a full size platform b ed, tall enough to fit those 18 gallon plastic totes underneath. The room i n the house she was sharing was small and the bed barley fit between the de sk and the wall. No room for a nightstand.

so I want to build her a simple night stand, tall enough to match the heigh t of her bed.

tch her bed frame, and I probably have enough material lying around:

I like personal projects, as that. When I do a project, specific for some one, I try to include, into the making/design, some element of the person' s character, or likes, or something of/about that individual, to further ma ke the piece special to them, alone. Sometimes, the simplest of projects are the best.

If I may: Try to include, into your project, a (small?) similar element o f design, somehow, somewhere, that is a "touch" of her, her career/schoolin g, maybe with a hint of a feminine "soft-touch" flavor.... Something! Some thing specific of or for her, alone. Some element of design, that she'll know it came from you and is specific for her.

Example: Stashed in the family album, a first grade picture, she drew of y ou, that you could decoupage onto a flat surface of the table?

Your proposed project reminds me: I made a small book case for someone, lo ng ago, when they went to college. They still have it and consider it spe cial. These days, it is decor functional, for them, more so than as a boo k case. Makes me feel good, just thinking about it.... Good thoughts!

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

[...]

Maybe I could decoupage a copy of a spreadsheet showing how much I've spent on tuition, rent, meals, cars, hotels, tours, moves, storage, etc. since s he started college. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03