test mercury vapor bulbs

Is there a way to test mercury vapor bulbs (with the large mogul base)? I need to isolate a problem with a large outside yard light and isolate the issue between the bulb and the photosensor.

Thanks for any tips.

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

No real way you can test the bulb alone, other than to swap with a known good one, or in another working fixture But if the photo sensor is the plug and twist type, you can check voltage there easily enough.

Why aren't you asking about the ballast ?

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Because I'm just learning about these lights. I assumed that the bulbs were the most likely to fail and they are easily replaceable. What do I need to learn about the ballast? Is it replaceable or does one just replace the fixture to fix a ballast?

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

Reply to
G Hensley

Your advice isn't worth $.02

Reply to
G Hensley

You can pretty much think of them the same as a fluorescent strip, if that helps. Testing of the parts is pretty similar for all gas discharge type lighting.

Easiest way to test a bulb is in another working fixture. Or try a known good spare.

You can not simply go by a $2.00 ohmmeter continuity test, as you can with a regular incandescent bulb.

But depending on the light sometimes the ballast is worth more than a replacement fixture.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

I had a 150 watt fixture and the ballast was bad, so I ordered a new 150 ballast and and noticed when it came in it was less than half the size of the old one. I called the company that makes the ballast and he said it is just new and improved hence the smaller size, I hooked it all up and it tested ok and came on. I intstalled it with a photo sensor, covered the sensor and it came on. A couple of days later it quit. The bulb was a new bulb that I tried first as I thought that was the problem. Do you think the ballast was the issue or if the bulb blew? I cant tell by looking at the bulb....looks fine.

Reply to
Coledog

You are already neck deep in the big muddy but I think I would have swapped it out for a LED. They make some real nice ones that put out more light than MV for less wattage and they are instant on and off.

Reply to
gfretwell

Let me look into my crystal ball.

I can't see either part from here.

YOu know what would be great. If you'd give the brand name, so we'd no if was a brand with a good reputation. If you'd give the model number, so we can look up details if we have time. If you'd give the specs that are given on the label, and on the packaging, so we can judge if it's adequate? If you'd give the details of the ballast from the webpage where you ordered it, or the url. If you give the brand, model number, specs, and details of the old ballast so we can compare the old with the new.

Reply to
micky