Re: Sorta On Topic - Future Virus Problems...

Nothing new here. A batch of Leading Edge 8088 machines shipped with

> a virus in the ROM-BIOS. One version of Lotus shipped with a virus on > the CD.

So you think this is media hype? Could be... I've been around since before the 8088 was popular and didn't know about that or the Lotus problem.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

.. snip

Well, isn't *that* special?

OTOH, it's not like a major corporation selling CDs deliberately infested with a rootkit a la Sony () , or with spyware a la TurboTax (wow,has it really been 6 years since I've used TurboTax?) several years ago.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Sad but true. I read about a memory maker (Crucial?) that had to pull something like 250,000 chips not too long ago that were a non- reburnable eprom they made for a company.

Apparently an angry employee decided to "show them". Thankfully, this was not in America where he would have gone to counseling, then write a book, then to Oprah.

The blurb I read said the guy got something like 10 years in a jail in Malaysia or someplace nasty like that.

I'm sure a stay like that would help you mend your ways!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

No, it's not "just" media hype. It is real. So were historical occurrences.

I've never heard about the virus in the ROM BIOS on the Leading Edge boxes, But I _do_ have knowledge that commercial product distributions have shipped with viruses _multiple_ times. In 2 cases I know of, it happened making the master disk that were set out for distribution, and I know of at least 3 other instances where the virus was introduced at the duplication facility. I see no point in naming names on incidents that are ~20+ years in the past.

infections today are a _much_ more dangerous problem. There wasn't much a virus could _do_ with 'interesting information' once it found it, other than modify/destroy it. No Internet connectivity, stuff wasn't going to 'go somewhere else' where it could then be exploited to fullest potential.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi