Re: Porter Cable 557 Plate Joiner Question

Have you checked to see if the blade is tight? Sounds like it may be loose.

I have had PC557 Plate Joiner for about 6 months. I've used it about 10 > time total and has performed extremely well. I have no regrets buying it. > My question is that it does make a "chattering" sound when the blade spins > up and when the blade spins down. Like I said, works great and cuts > flawlessly. > > Has anyone else had this problem? > > Thanks. > >
Reply to
Frank Mutchler

Mine makes the same noise, as does my angle grinder. I am sure it is just "gear lash", clearance in the gears making noise. Don't worry about it. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Mine makes the same noise

Ken

Reply to
Ken Johnsen

That was my first thought, I did remove and reset the blade and had the same sound.

Reply to
Andy Evans

That was my first thought, I did remove and reset the blade and had the same sound.

Reply to
Andy Evans

I had that thought last night, so I removed and reset the blade (it was on *VERY* tight) and had the same sound.

Reply to
Andy Evans

Did you check to see if the blade was tight...;~)

Reply to
Leon

The 557 (and angle grinders in general) use a bevel spur gear to make the right angle turn from the motor to the blade shaft. Since the gears are straight cut, there is some meshing slop which makes for a fair bit of backlash (and noise)

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Rowen