Re: Metric

-the force due to gravity on earth of 1kg is very close to 10 newtons

Thank you Chris. For the first time in my life I have an intuitive feel for what a friggin Newton is: it's 100 grams or the amount of dry pasta needed for a regular plate or the amount of prosciutto I would buy for lunch.

Yes I know the difference between mass and weight. But for most practical purposes on the face of the earth, the difference doesn't matter. And I knew that a Newton was one kilogram-metre per second squared. & I could do some calculations with it, but I didn't know what it was!

Thanks!

Luigi

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

That's only because you don't have one of my gee-whiz passive solar heating panels yet. :)

Now the challenge is to find a (bathroom/postal/deli/freight) scale calibrated in Newtons. ;)

Reply to
Morris Dovey