Re: Ever Built a Futon?

Welcome to the global economy. Just looked at a nicely designed, quarter sawn white oak, Craftsman style, extra wide, rocking chair, that someone wanted me to finish for them. They paid $350 for the damn thing, unfinished, and the slats for the back and seat are stapled in, and not nicely at that.

I can readily believe some one could build it that way, but I find it hard to believe someone would eagerly buy it at that price. They reckoned they didn't have a choice. I started to say something to the contrary, but got to thinking ... I certainly could not make it and sell it at that price, so maybe they really don't have a choice anymore

It is not too farfetched to conjecture that someone could have bought the wood over here, shipped it overseas, milled it and built the chair, shipped it back, and could still sell it cheaper than I could buy the wood and do it right.

Reply to
Swingman

That's very plausible, though with unregulated timber free for the clear-cutting, I don't imagine it happens that often. Most of the foreign wood furniture that comes through my hands is made from weird species. Probably exotic, endangered species.

Reply to
Silvan

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this one: ($9.95)

one down under Living Room

ARM

Reply to
Alan McClure

Rick wrote: : Have you ever built a futon?

: What plans, if any, did you use?

I have a similar, but more specific, question:

What design/plans did you use that incorporated the pullout type of conversion mechanism, where you pull on the front edge of the bit supporting the futon in sofa mode, and it slides out without need to have the futon sofa away from the wall? (Like the Rockler mechanism)?

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss