Price on Garage Conversion

Hi, Can anyone give me a rough idea on how much I can expect to pay for labour in knocking out bricks at the back of my garage and have French doors fitted?

Just a rough figure that can give me an idea.

Thanks,

T.H

Reply to
Tyler

Are the doors going outside or into the house? as there is a big difference in the door type required

Reply to
Vass

The doors are going out onto the garden.

Reply to
Tyler

But it's not going to affect the *labour* that much, is it?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Any idea on how much the labour will be to fit French doors including knocking out the required bricks?

Reply to
Tyler

If I knew, i would have told you the first time I replied.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Should we include the cost of rebuilding the garage after it collapses for want of a properly supported RSJ above the new opening?

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Just include the RSJ and anything else that is important/ vital.

Reply to
Tyler

Hardly likely. RSJs over wall openings only support a triangle of brickworks above them, not the whole wall. Plenty of old houses have no such supports in place.

Tyler, the price will depend on where you live, and what standard the work is done to. Phone and request a quote. Or estimate the time required and employ someone on that basis.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Two to three days work for a bod on his own I would guess - depends on how much making good is required (like rendering/plastering window reveals inside and out).

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks - as a rough rough estimate for the labour alone does =A3800 for three days work sound good? I keep asking as I have no idea about building work and just need a rough figure.

Reply to
Tyler

If you were quoted that price, including materials (but excluding the patio door itself) then I would not be that surprised. I would guess £400 to £1000 would be a reasonable range depending on the many factors that people have highlighted in this thread.

Reply to
John Rumm

=A3266 a day for labour sounds a bit steep to me, but yes you'll probably get quoted that much by several people. I'd say no though to that, I can find people at a fraction that price.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

At last - thank you for the rough figure which is what I asked for.

Reply to
Tyler

Some friends had their large attached garage converted to a utility room off the kitchen and computer room off hall way and was £12,000 (I think). Building control had to be involved from day one, due to change of use (not an issue designers/contractors handled it all), but front pokey out bit of garage had to be rebuilt as origianlly not on suitable foundations and not suitable for just "brickining up" and sticking a window in. Buidling control needed plans, RSJ sizes, foundation sizes etc and came out to look at things and sign off whilst work in progress.

Also the garage ceiling removed to allow access to water pipes, electrics and central heating for washing machine/tumble drier, sinks, radiators and electrics in new room. Boiler was also checked out to make sure that it could could be used in a living spaces rather than garage

And finally they got a Part P certificate for the electric works.

I think 12K is a lot for 2 rooms I could do the same but would loose my "workshop" and rubbish collection storage area !!!

Reply to
Ian_m