Re: Do I sucketh?

Yes, you suck!

Enjoy your saw!

Rob

I was up in Maine, killing time with my cousin, when I happened across a > yard sale. We didn't have a whole lot going on, so we popped in to take a > look. I was looking over the tables, sifting through the normal yard sale > crap, when I noticed something. Sitting on the last table was a white metal > box with a chrome handle and latches. Stenciled on the lid, in snazzy blue > paint, was that holiest of words, "BOSCH". My heart sunk as I saw the > price - ten bucks. As I was unsnapping the latches I thought, "for ten > bucks, it's just the case, but I could probably find several uses for the > case..." > > The lid swung open to reveal a brand spanking new, never been run, still has > the twist-ties and bits of shrink-wrap, 1587AVS top handle jig saw. I > closed the lid, a little bit slack-jawed, when the woman who was running the > yard sale noticed my interest. I asked her if the price was correct, > figuring there should be another zero in there. She came over, looked at > it, and informed me that, yes, the price was right. > > Honesty got the better of me. I told her what the saw went for new. She > told me her husband had just left her for her best friend, and she would be > only too happy to sell me his saw for ten bucks. > > Like a coward, I slapped down a sawbuck, grabbed the saw, and trotted to the > car, looking around nervously for the husband the whole way... > > -Tim > > > > >
Reply to
Rob

Pathetic. You should have offered $8. Have you never been to a yard sale before?

Reply to
Justin Henry

That is a very old story. I've seen it in a novel and in movies. I've heard it as a joke. Husband runs off w/ the other woman. Property settlement entails wife selling certain stuff and sending what she gets for it to husband. So, she sells his vintage record collection/classic car/other prized and valuable possession for rediculous cheap. Now its brand new tool. Have you now shacked up with the woman? Has she offered you a new cabinet saw if you first use it to cut up her ex?

Reply to
Igor

Yup - you suck. Just remember something Tim . . .

Continue to buy tools this way . . . or one day Stephanie will be having a yard sale of her own. :-)

Jim

P.S. - I know some think of this as the old urban legend story based on a true account from a Paul Harvey episode - but I've also come across deals the same way.

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

You didn't ask what else might be for sale????

Well it happens.

Stephanie and Tim wrote:

Reply to
Eddie Munster

Yes you do big time. All I ever see as rusted old C clamps. You brought a smile to my face and hope in my heart.

Reply to
Bill Dunn

Nice...now tell me where you live so I can come and get my saw.....

Myx

Reply to
Myxylplyk

Ha! No - she was old enough to be my mom. As I figure it, there wasn't a "settlement" happening. She was mostly just pissed.

Reply to
Stephanie and Tim

You're probably the third or fourth person to say this. Why would I lie about it, and why would you care?

Reply to
Stephanie and Tim

You sucketh so bad you give new meaning to the whole concept of suckething!!

(I guess this is one more reason to be good to SWMBO though.)

Reply to
Silvan

ROTFL!!! Now that's lower than low! :)

Reply to
Silvan

I knew I had heard this before:

Reply to
Justin Henry

I heard of a woman taking a truck full of tools to the scrap yard and having it shredded.

Reply to
ATP

Long, long years ago, my Mom got rid of a car on me. I'd managed to get hold of a '40 Ford convertible, IIRC, a V60, that didn't run. We had an old barn style garage with 3-4 bays. I stuck it in an open fronted bay, pulled the hood(s) in preparation for yanking the engine,and took my other car to Virginia for a few days. Came back to find she'd given the car to a so-called buddy of mine who sold it for parts.

This was in '57, and I was unhappy about that for almost 10 years.

Not all sad tales are apocryphal.

Charlie Self

"The future will be better tomorrow." Dan Quayle

Reply to
Charlie Self

goo for you. makes it easier to sleep at night.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Reply to
larry in cinci