Re: broke my bandsaw (whimper)

epoxied this thing back together. It still breaks under load. I will > try it again.

Clean off the epoxy and head for a weld shop. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What material is it made from?

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Put a magnet (like the one on your refrigerator) on it. If it sticks, the casting is cast iron. If it doesn't, then it is probable

aluminum.003 18:45:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wro te:

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I've got some stuff down in the shop that I bought at a tool show that is made for bonding?/brazing? aluminum parts back together. You've probably seen the demo of the guy who takes these welding rod things, heats up a pop can with a torch, then swirls the rod on the hot can. It spans the hole in the can, stronger than when original. I've used it to fix holes in lawn mower engine blocks, but never to join two parts together. But, it might work.

Here's what's on the instructions:

"Dura-Fix", for industrial maintenance: fabricate, repair, maintain - aluminum and alloys. It says in the instructions that you can do butt-welds with scrap aluminum. So, maybe it'll work for your broken bracket.

1-800-547-WELD

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
bob

Reply to
jo4hn

from an old post:

see it here

2/3rds of the way down the page.

Alumapro welding kit

n Sun, 03 Aug 2003 01:17:58 GMT, jo4hn wrote:

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

[snip]
Reply to
jo4hn

Nah, it might actually work since it doesn't have words like "magic" or "super" on it. :)

Another thing, if you get desperate... Depending on how complicated the casting is, you might be able to cast a new one. Aluminum is reputedly fairly easy to cast.

Haven't done it, but it's on my some day list. I've done some reading, though none of it fresh enough to offer real advice.

I'm sure that would be the hard road, but sometimes desperate situations call for desperate measures.

Reply to
Silvan

Hey Jo4hn. When I bought the "clone" of a Delta 14" the upper guide did not track the blade when moving it up and down. Either the hole for the guide was missdriled or some other mistake in machining was made. What I did was make a new upper hub assy. that holds the wheel with the bearing location moved over by about 3/16 or maybe even a 1/4 inch. Machined it out of a block of aluminium. SOOO! it should be no great problem to just make a new assy. even better than the original. Where you be? any place close to Abq. NM? I'd be glad to help. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

I recently had the same problem with my Ohio Forge and after buying a Grizzley and looking at the borg and a few other places at other bandsaws, realized that most upper assemblies are very similiar. Check around and ya might find one that is very close to what you have and with a few alterations would work.

Reply to
ChairMan

Aluminum isn't hard to weld if you have a MIG or TIG setup. Take it to a good welding shop (even better, one that specializes in boats or airplanes) and see what they have to say.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4