Re: Best way to spread contact glue???

woodchucker wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

>>> I have made 2 plastic laminated tops and I have used contact cement. >>> I am using mdf as a base for the tops. I find that spreading the >>> glue can be very tricky as the glue penetrates and starts drying as >>> it is spread. This causes build-ups in some spots and some areas are >>> starved for glue. What to do??? >>> Any feedback will be appreciated. >>> Thanks >>> >>> Michel Diotte >> >> if you're using a roller, apply the cement with a squeeze bottle, >> similar to a wood glue bottle. if you lay the cement out in evenly >> spaced lines across your material, it rolls out more evenly. >> > > Get a squeegee for the bathroom. > > I have also used old credit cards.

One certainly hopes that at some point between 1998 and now Michel found an answer to his question.

Myself, I always use a brush for contact cement, and don't worry about it being perfectly even (or about it drying as it's spread, since it has to dry before the laminate is put on anyway). Using a J-roller on the laminate, as one is susposed to, seems to flatten any lumps in the cement just fine.

John

Reply to
John McCoy