Re: Another tool ID needed VIII

Number 125 is a tool that I think might be for measuring but I'm not

>sure why the two ends are different lengths.

Leather slitting cutter

The long fence is an adjustable guide, the short knife under the handles cuts the leather.

It's not a leather "plough", they're built heavier and have a couple of other differences.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No. 121 is a Tau Beta Pi "key", National Engineering Honor Society. Not that I ever got very close to one...... Dave

Reply to
Dave W

Thanks for the info, looks like it might have been a part of a paperweight like the one in this photo:

bought mine for a dollar at the antique mall.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

I'm still researching this one, I'll look into your idea. Another guess that I heard was a scribe for timber or wood planks.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

"R.H." wrote: Robert Bonomi wrote

It looks a lot like the peizo-electric trigger for a grill. If it has resistance and then clicks and feels loose, that's probably what it is. If it sparks across the two wires or the middle/bottom wire and the ground/ shell, that is what it is.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in Fairfax

Looks like your average BBQ igniter sparker.

Rubber bouncy ball?

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

"R.H." wrote: 124

A superball? Size and texture would be helpful at the onset.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in Fairfax

... snip

one of those "wacky-clacker" balls?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Yes, it's a piezo-electric sparker. I bought it for the following science experiment: poke a hole in the lid of one of those black film canisters, insert the wire leads, put in a couple drops of alcohol or perfume, put on the lid and then push the button. You get a small explosion that sends the canister flying about ten or twenty feet.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Correct.

This one isn't a bouncy ball.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

It's not a superball, what you see there is 1.25" in diameter, it's made of glass, I don't know what the inside is made of.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Yes, it's a piezo electric sparker.

This one isn't made of rubber, the outside is glass.

Others are almost certain that this one is a pad counter:

info.

'm still looking into this one.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

A flashbulb?

Reply to
Shorty

Necker's knob for a car steering wheel?

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

On 14 Sep 2004 01:53:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (R.H.) calmly ranted:

Paperweight? Is it drilled and/or flat on the bottom?

isn't as sharp as it would need to be nor is the end of the guide tip angled as it would be for a leatherworking tool.

----

- Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 14 Sep 2004 01:47:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (R.H.) calmly ranted:

Oh, only 1-1/4" dia? It's an AGGIE! (Marble to you kids.)

----

- Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nope, keep in mind that there is more to this one than you can see in the photo.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Yuppers. Inductees/pledges receive a rough sandcasting that they're supposed to smooth and polish prior to initiation.

#125 looks like a carrying handle of some sort. Slide the "L" under the load, slide the handle down the "L" until it contacts the load, and when lifted the load (of ?) is clinched between the two projections. Looks like it'd work best in multiples for carrying sheets of something.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

It's not a marble.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

It's not a paperweight, nor is it drilled or flat on the bottom, you would recognize a side view of it though.

I was going to mention that the ends are sharp, but as you say, not quite sharp enough to a be a good leather cutting tool.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.