Re: A 60'' band saw?

On Thu 04 Sep 2003 03:47:20a, Unisaw A100 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If I was Carnac (Carnak?) I'd put the envelope to my > forehead and predict it would be a Chiwainese clone of a > Delta. *Something* on the saw measures 60" but I doubt it's > the throat (what you'd normally measure a band saw for).

I think so myself. But from a privately sent email, such an animal does exist:

I'd be very suprised if Buffalo ever made something like that. Sure isn't anything on their website now that comes close. :-) And of course fitting that into my gara - uh, workshop is out of the question. I'd need to buy my neighbor's back yard.

You are absolutely correct about auctions and you really > shouldn't go. By the way, if you do go, roll up a Tool Crib > catalog and stuff it into your back pocket. It'll make you > stand out from the crowd.

I was going to take one of my old Grizzly catalogs but now I'm not so sure...

But like I said, I gotta go see this thing. And since they're combining a woodworker's estate with a failed tree nursery, SWMBO wants to see if they've got any trees to replace a Redbud that didn't make the winter. Well, it isn't till weekend after this one anyway. I'm gone for the weekend to marry off my daughter. I'll think about it later. :-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Commercial and industrial equipment often has 440 Volt and 3-phase motors of arge horsepower, which will have to be replaced with 110V or

220V for home use.
Reply to
RM MS

Daily I use bandsaws of 40" throat depth and cut height of up to 30". The whole machines stand about 10' tall. The tilting table is about 36" square that meets with additional smooth iron surface on the in-side. Biesemeyer fences, which are fine for a while, but repeatedly wear out on the slide bar and cam lock under this type of usage (two ten-hour shifts, about 50 men per). We also have other wooden shop-built jigs and fence aids for them.

Reply to
RM MS

Or you can make a phase convertor and get a step-up transfomer.

GT(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

That's some machine. Did you see how on the sawing chart, it lists lead, cast iron, steel, brass, magnesium, nickel, silver, copper, and barylium? Not bad for 'just' 3hp.

david

Reply to
D K Woods

There's a wee bit of difference 'tween a Grob and a Chiwanese import Buffalo.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Hey KB. I thought bandsaw measurements were indicating the size of the wheel... no?

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Owen Lowe:

Yes, unless you are an auctioneer who was last week selling someone's priceless c*ll*ct**n of Beanie Babies and the week before selling someone's washer and dryer and this week staring at a shop full of wooddorking equipment in which case you're selling shapers and calling them routers and jointers and calling them shapers and band saws and calling them, OK, you get the picture. Not so much a put down to auctioneers when you consider they have and will be selling everything ever conceived and invented by man and that means they have to know a whole bunch of stuff about a whole bunch of stuff.

Oh, and on the Grob, the 60" is referring to the throat opening which normally translates as the wheel diameter.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I visited a lumberyard in India and had a big hunk of rosewood cut for me on a bandsaw that was around 14 feet high. I'd say the throat was around 50-60 inches.

The guy running it wore an undershirt, a "lungi" (strip of cloth wrapped around the hips, going to about knee length), and a strip of cloth around his head. Bare feet, no eye, ear or respiratory protection.

If anyone's going to Bombay, I recommend a trip...the yard's a pretty amazing place.

Warren

Reply to
Warren Senders