RAS (Humor, Maybe)

There has been a lively and interesting discussion about radial arm saws (RAS). I have learned a lot by lurking. I wish I had room for a RAS and/or dedicated CMS.

What are people's opinion of this? IIRC the original RAS was based on a similar concept.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

note that they show it with a saw in it that is worth at least 3 times what it sells for....

Reply to
Bridger

Mark Jerde asks:

Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

the saw all over the shop when this thing lets go and the saw switch is locked in the ON position...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

between what you pay for something (new) and it's quality and fitness.

Actually the first radial saws were huge chunks of machined cast iron columns with huge arms fixed to the tops and huge motors and huge blades attached to the arms. Some models were designed to be hung from the user's building columns.

Later, 30's/40's ish (last century), Skil and Porter-Cable did come along with a unit similar to the one being sold by Harbor Fright but they make the one being sold today look toyish.

You'd be better off spending some quality time (and your hard earned money) in the shop some Saturday and making up a cross cut jig.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Look at how the whole assembly is attached. Looks like you just clamp it to a piece of plywood. With all of the weight hanging out there I don't think it's going to be very safe or accurate. If you were to attach it to something more substantial, i.e. a plate of 3/4" aluminum, it would be better but still pretty cheesy.

Roland

Reply to
Roland Hart

I think I could chew a better cut than this thing is likely to give.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Immediate reaction?