Raised Panel Question

I'm building 2 sets of double doors, for "exterior" use. I'm aware not to glue the panels to the frames.

The doors won't get rained on, but dense fog gets into every nook and cranny. I was considering applying finish to the panels edges and into the doors' rabbets, to help defer/repel any possible moisture, from there.

Is finishing these surfaces not recommended? I can't think of why it would not be advisable to finish them.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I would think you precautionary measures will be fine.

Reply to
Leon

I'd think that finishing the edges and grooves would be fine... as long as the film of finish isn't so thick as to effectively glue the panel in place and restrict movement of the panel. Put another way, leaving room for the finish would be useful even if the panel seems a bit loose without finish on it.

Also, if the humidity swings are extreme perhaps make the grooves in the styles a bit deeper so the panel has plenty of room to expand... Then again, if it's always humid don't bother with the extra as the panel will not move much because it will always be expanded!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I always finish mine.

Reply to
dadiOH

to glue the panels to the frames.

nny. I was considering applying finish to the panels edges and into the d oors' rabbets, to help defer/repel any possible moisture, from there.

uld not be advisable to finish them.

Like the others, I would finish the edges. However, I would make absolutel y, positively sure the finish was dry before I assembled the doors. If its not it could act as a glue. Also, cutting the rabbits deeper is a good i dea and the little rubber balls that you can put in the rabbits to quiet th e panels would be a good idea. That way, you get the advantage of the extr a depth, but do not have to be concerned about the panels sliding to far ou t of center.

Reply to
Dr. Deb