Water Based Poly?

I have traditionally used oil based polyurethanes, mostly Minwax because of availability, but I've used General Finishes in recent years too. The long dry times can be a real pain and tend to collect lots of dust. The fumes are also annoying indoors. Another issue I have had with oil based polys is that they tend to dissolve and pick up oil based gel stains on the first coat.

So last year I tried Minwax Polycrylic Water Based poly on a bed frame. It applied easily with a brush, and seems to be fairly durable. Best of all, no odors and it dries quickly.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Polycrylic at my local Lowes, so I picked up some "Minwax Oil-Modified Water Based Polyurethane". It seemed to apply nicely, didn't pick up the stain like oil based poly, dries quickly, and doesn't have any odor. Unfortunately, it only seems to come in 1/2 pint or gallon cans. I don't need a gallon, but I've already gone through two

1/2 pint cans on the first coat. It is also rather expensive. I'll probably pick up enough 1/2 pint cans to finish this project, but doubt I would use it again just due to availability. Kind of a shame.

Anyway, I am curious what other water based poly you would recommend?

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

I use Varathane floor finish, often. There's an oil & water base. Our loc al Lowes carries both. I don't use the oil based.

Water based: About $45 a gallon. The shelf life is pretty good, too. I use a gallon maybe every 6 months to a year. My latest project may take ha lf a gallon. It's pretty durable, too... should be, it's a floor finish. I put it on a CDX plywood sewing table, for upholstery. Still in good sh ape.

It doesn't yellow, as spar urethane does. I like the results I get from i t. I use it most often on salvaged lumber and not-so-fine of woodworking p rojects.

For my higher end stuff, more refined projects, I spray lacquer.

Water based Varathane project: Here, Braxton is putting the third coat on a mantle, salvaged cypress: http s://

The installed mantle:

2/in/photostream

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I also like polycrylic. Lowes (online) lists it in quarts in gloss, semi-gloss and satin. I bought mine at Lowes in the quart size, but it has been a few years ago.

Reply to
G. Ross

Hmmm, about the drums. :-) The head says Premier but those lugs and badges don't look like Premier. What year?

Reply to
-MIKE-

HerHusband wrote in news:XnsA43CAA535A94Fherhusband@213.239.209.88:

I've been happy with Varathane water based. The local Lowes stocks it on an intermittant basis (for some reason everything in the finishing aisle is intermittant - as if the manager keeps changing his mind about what to stock).

I noticed in Home Depot the other day that some of the Minwax products were only available in tiny cans, not quarts. Dunno if that's Minwax being stupid or Home Depot.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I'm not sure... maybe early 1980s. I'll ask.

They are my older brother's. Jonas, my nephew, likes to play, also, brought them to the camp/farm. No neighbors, out there, to bother.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

It's the despot. Helps the "turnover ratio" when the manager can say they moved 40 cans a month instead of 10 - - -

Reply to
clare

You think? I have a retail back ground and I don't recall excessive turnover meaning much more than lost sales.

Reply to
Leon

Is the Minwax in an oil base ? - restrictions to volume might be the issue.

I ran into this in Ca and could buy in my county Quarts, but over the hill in congestion city only in pints and half pints. So after a while, they put our county on restrictions because of the other county. They just came over the hill and bought what they wanted.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Martin,

The poly I was buying is called "water based, oil modified", whatever that means.

Lowes sells the same poly in gallon sizes, so I doubt volume is a factor. They just don't carry that poly in quart sizes.

They also sell regular oil based poly in quart sizes.

Actually, I haven't really seen the Minwax water based oil modified poly in quart sizes online either. Kind of weird.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband