Gluing Composite Material

I have 3 broken Queen Ann ball & claw stool legs to repair. The legs are made of some sort of composite material. What is needed to glue these back together, epoxy or something else.

I'll likely drill new holes in the tops of the legs, for attaching to the wooden seat frame, but I'd like to glue the upper "corner" broken pieces, where the original attaching screws are located, back together for more structural support of the legs.

I don't know what should be used for gluing composite material and I don't know what kind of composite material this is.

Thanks for any help. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Well in order to know, I have to know the material. Epoxy works on most materials, but not all as you know.

Is it a waxy type of composite. Plastic based? MEK is the best glue

Is it resin based? Not sure

Is it fiberglass based... epoxy... carbon fiber epoxy.

Nylon... CA or epoxy.

Poly...(something) CA..

Reply to
woodchucker

System3

"S>I have 3 broken Queen Ann ball & claw stool legs to repair. The legs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Straight epoxy and fairing putty made with epoxy thickened with microballoons would be my choices based on having mixed large quantities of each.

Contact System3 and talk to their tech guys (They are GOOD) and get their input.

They have an 800# if you need it.

BTW, thickened epoxy can be used to replace chipped out pieces and improve strength significantly.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Add this - if it's a plastic type material look up G-Flex epoxy. Made my West System especially for gluing difficult plastics,

Reply to
Richard

Sonny,

What did you finally decide to do?

Lew

------------------------------------------------ "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I decided to put that project to the side, for the time being. This projec t was brought to my attention while doing several upholstery projects for t he lady's cousin. I have another upholstery customer to take care of, befo re focusing on these broken composite stool (legs). I've written down all the suggestions and will decide, later, what to do about those legs. Thank s for everyone's help.

Here's a pic of the texture of the composite material. The brown/yellow co lor is not correct, but a product of the camera not flashing.

This is more the correct color of the composite material. The legs are bro ken where the screws attach the legs to the stool's seat frame.

Off hand, I don't have faith in "gluing" the pieces back together. I suspec t those glue sites will be weaker than the original material. For reattach ing the legs to the seat frame, I've considered drilling a hole through the seat frame and into the main body of the leg shoulders, then better secure the legs with a large bolt, of some kind, in addition to the reattaching t he legs at their original screw sites, after "gluing" those pieces back tog ether.

Since I'm retired, I don't rush anything. Since the shop incident (amputat ed fingers - and nothing has, and likely will, come of that. The maid is n o longer in a clinic and she has called, asking to continue her housekeepin g job.), I've finished the carcasses and shelves of the bathroom corner cab inets, I have the face frames and doors, yet, to do; I've installed the en tertainment center (EC), though I have yet to make the shelves, doors and f ace frames. The shop is now cleared of that EC carcass bulk. It's nice to have access to that work space, again; When I've had a chance, I've been planing lots of old pine flooring, to install in my sister's home. Last we ek, I did a home roof inspection and found a 5'X5' damaged porch overhang/c orner area, so I spent 2 days repairing that. It's primed & caulked and I need to touchup caulk, then paint the soffit and facia.

Next major projects: Mow & weed eat the lawn and till the veggie garden for spring planting.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

------------------------------------------------------- "S I decided to put that project to the side, for the time being. This project was brought to my attention while doing several upholstery projects for the lady's cousin. I have another upholstery customer to take care of, before focusing on these broken composite stool (legs). I've written down all the suggestions and will decide, later, what to do about those legs. Thanks for everyone's help.

Here's a pic of the texture of the composite material. The brown/yellow color is not correct, but a product of the camera not flashing.

This is more the correct color of the composite material. The legs are broken where the screws attach the legs to the stool's seat frame.

-------------------------------------------------------------- It would appear that the legs are molded urethane.

IMO, mechanical fasteners will not solve your problem.

When you get around to doing this job, why not take as many detailed photos as useful showing not only the damaged parts but also what a non damaged leg connection looks like, then contact System 3 application engineering and see what they suggest after looking at photos.

I've got a couple of ideas; however, don't want to contaminate the idea pool of ways to approach this project with my ideas before the pros can take a look the job.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

.... why not take as many detailed photos as useful showing .... what a non damaged leg connection looks like,

The fourth leg is cracked at the screw sites, also, but the pieces haven't separated as with the other 3 legs.

Taking pics and sending to System 3 sounds like good advice.

An alternative is to buy comparable wooden legs ($45 each, maybe), if the lady wants the stool that bad.

Thanks. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Sonny, I wondered where you've been. Good to see you back!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I've been reading along, most threads, just haven't replied to any, until n ow.

Been busy, too. My nephew's been over, helping a lot with the heavy stuff and the all-day work. I don't have the stamina to last all day. He's been pushing me to get some things done and he's helping with all the flooring boards being planed.... and a few other chores.

While installing the entertainment center, I screwed up my wood floor. Whe n I get the floor fixed, I'll post pics of the EC, though it's just the fin ished carcass. My nephew is impressed with it and I'm happy with it, too. It's the largest and maybe the most complicated project I've ever tried.

It's Leon's fault, showing us those walnut cabinets! With warmer weather n ear, I've been itching to get started on that walnut trestle table, I want to make from the tree I had milled Nov. 2011.... the lumber is stacked next to the planer, so it's been in my face, lately. It should be sufficientl y air dried, by now. And I've paid attention to some of Karl's walnut fini sh work, for ideas for the table's finish.

A week or 2 ago, I finished & installed a new thread rack, for the upholste ry thread spools.

Mardi Gras has been fun and my patch of clover, with lots of 4 leafers, is a hit with the kids, so I've been enjoying the ride.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Sounds like you need full time help from the nephew with all those projects.

Screwing the floor up ... damn, use carpet next time turned over soft side down to avoid the pain.

Reply to
woodchucker

Help from the nephew would be remarkable for you because with the help you will be able to complete the project much earlier than in case of doing it alone.

Reply to
epdmroofers

Help from the nephews is a must for some tasks, but good company always makes a job go better, no matter who's here, even you online visitors.

Got a reply from Systems3, after sending them Flickr pics. I ordered the Gel Magic. I had hope it would arrive today, but no.

************** From the pictures, it appears that you are working with a high density urethane foam. Our Gel Magic structural adhesive looks like it will work well for this application. I recommend trying to build in some extra structural strength with the use of wood dowel inserts. A great way to do this with the foam is to drill in oversized holes compared to the dowels, and use the Gel Magic to glue in the dowels to the legs prior to joining the legs to the rest of the stool. The Gel Magic will create a nice bond with the foam and give you some added strength with the addition of the dowel. You can then get everything lined up with the seat of the stool and do the same hole size and gluing procedure when joining the legs to the seat.

With Gel Magic, make sure not to over clamp the legs and squeeze out all the glue, as it needs glue in the joint to work properly. The Gel Magic is a great gap filler and will work great. Here is a link to the Gel Magic page of our website:

Hope this helps and give me a call if you have any other questions. Thanks for considering System Three epoxy systems.

Regards, Will Smoot

Here's some of the walnut for the trestle table, roughly 20"W X 11.5'L X 1.5" thick. Each board felt like 100+ lbs, to me, when we stacked it green.

A few weeks ago, I brought a pecan log to the mill, to have slabs cut, to make bed headboards, a la George Nakashima design, hopefully. There ought to be some nice figured lumber in this sample.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny