Questions about cedar properties

I'm salvaging some cedar from the windows I replaced last year. This stuff has been exposed to the elements (under a flaking coat of paint) for over thirty years, yet when I cut into it it looks to be in better condition than most of the other species in my shop. Amazing!

I've heard that cedar needs grow for at least 15 years old before it starts to have its preservative properties. The wood I have has done well, but there's a limited supply. It's done so well that I'm certainly anxious to build my next outdoor projects out of cedar. But I have a limited supply so do I need to take extra care when buying new, to make sure it's old enough?

I've been slicing off 1/2" strips to glue up for a wall mount mailbox I want to build. The quantity of dust that fills the air is like no other wood I've cut. Is this normal?

My mailbox will be six or seven inches up and down, and I want the two ends to also extend below the bottom to serve as hooks for a newspaper. If I glue up the front and back faces so the strips are horizontal I'll be in a cross grain situation. Will that be a problem over seven inches? I'm in Ottawa where all seasons can be a bit harsh. If so, what kind of solution would you suggest? Also, what kind of glue should I use?

Thanks.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Yes, Eastern White Cedar is amazing stuff. I have used epoxy on outdoor cedar projects with excellent results. I leave the wood unfinished and give it a clorox, water, detergent scrub in the Spring. It looks like new! You may want to be careful around that dust though.....I have developed an asthmatic reaction to EWS dust. Dave

Reply to
Dave W

I have some 5 minute epoxy. Would that work, or would you recommend the 24 hour kind? I'm trying to picture myself doing the glue-up with the 5 minute stuff and I can't see it going well. I have six edges about 3' long to glue. Times 2.

I'll be asking a friend to run my glued panels through his thickness plane. Epoxy wouldn't be hard on the blades, would it?

I just found this:

Looks like Titebond II would be a good choice. Of course I don't actually have any, but that can be changed.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

IMHO, 5 minute epoxy is strictly for emergency repairs.

Use the good stuff, be patient, and enjoy the results.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

FWIW: I often use a 30 Minute epoxy where I need more time, or more strength than the 5 Minute stuff. I get the 30 Minute from the local hobby shop, or on line thru Tower Hobbies. There is a rumor that the longer setting epoxy soaks into the wood more for greater strength. Seams reasonable to me.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
rich

It does. Thanks to all who replied.

I settled on Titebond III which required a bonus trip to Lee Valley Tools since I couldn't find any at Canadian Tire or Home Depot. Some day I'll definitely try the longer setting epoxy, though. I have plenty of other projects in mind that could benefit from it.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Do a Google for WestSystems which will allow you to find a stocking distributor in your area.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett