Providence Fine Furniture Show Nov. 7-9

I always go to get new ideas for projects. Lots of independent/small-shop builders. Anyone else from here going?

-- Bob

Reply to
Bob N

While your in Providence, slip over to the Rhode Island School of Design and see the furniture in their museum. They have two Townsend - Goddard secretary and more than you can imagine. I was there earlier this month.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Is that a good museum then ? I've seen lots of photographed 18th century pieces with that given as their location, but I was never sure how accessible they were to casual visitors, or if it was a closed college collection. It's certainly on my list of destinations next time I have a week or two to drive around the USA.

Andy Dingley

It is a major collection. They built a replica of Pendleton's house to show the furniture in. There are about 3 floors of furniture. The museum is accessible and the docent's will talk your arm off. Just ask a question and they will tell you a lot about the collection that is not obvious. They have a Stuart portrait of George Washington. It is the original and is the image used on the dollar bill.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Well, it isn't a gloat or anything, but I live just outside of Providence and the RISD museum is a favorite hangout on rainy weekends. If you show up before 1 pm on Sunday admission is free.

Yes, the furniture in the Pendleton house section of the museum is outstanding. The

12-foot high wooden Buddha in the Asian section is pretty cool, too.
Reply to
Bob N

I was told by the docents in the Pendleton House section that Townsend - Goddard only built nine of the secretaries. The museum has two of them. There's a good story about a 9 shell secretary at the Brown House. Providence it seems had three of the nine. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes