Problem with wood burning on miter cuts

I'm trying to make a multi sided box and have to cut the wood at a 54 degree angle. My saw only cranks over to 45 degrees. I can get the blade over that far using a crowbar, but sometimes the wood burns a bit. Should I spray the blade with silicone?

I want the joint to fit well so the planter does not leak.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That and using silicone rubber for the glue up.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Is it possible to cut a 9 degree wedge and use it as your starting point, then make your cuts at 45 degrees from this wedge?

Lou

Reply to
loutent

You need more clamps!

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Yes, but you probably missed the thread titles "? on miter cut"

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Is it possible to use something like a tenon jig with the wood vertical and the saw set to 36 degrees? A little more waste that way, but you wouldn't have to use a crowbar (cringing waiting for that loud snap of breaking metal. A crowbar???).

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch