Burning beveled mitre cuts

I am using a Bosch 10 inch SCMS with a Woodworker 1 blade. The blade is clean and sharp and I am cutting 1x4 poplar (sealed and then painted on one side). When I lie the board flat on the table and make a 90 degree (bevel and miter angles) cut through, it makes a clean cut on both sides of the cut. However, when I cut a 45 degree bevel it burns one side of the wood. The side that burns is the one above the blade. During the cut, the board is clamped to the table. Pushing the blade through is also much harder. I can find no alignment adjustments that would allow the blade to go through the wood "cocked".

Anybody out there have the same problem and a solution.

Len

Reply to
l-lopez

" snipped-for-privacy@uiuc.edu" wrote in news:3bbef0b7-031d-4784-b7fa- snipped-for-privacy@f2g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

This could happen if your stock isn't flat, and you're cutting it concave side down so that there's a small gap between the stock and the bed of the saw, right under the blade. As the wood is cut, the waste side is no longer holding up the wood. The clamp pressure on the other side forces the wood downward, pressing it against the blade, and burning it. It doesn't take very much movement at all to cause this -- a gap of even 1/64" could be enough.

Make sure that both the bed of the saw, and the stock being cut, are flat. And clamp the wood on the low side of the blade, but *not* on the high side.

Reply to
Doug Miller