Problem veneering on plywood

Hi all, I've just completed applying a maple burl venner to 1/4 birch ply. I sanded the ply before applying the veneer but I still got some lines telegraphing throught the veneer. What can I do to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Gene

Reply to
Gene T

MDF core next time?

dave

Gene T wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

If you want the veneer grain direct to be the same as the ply grain direction cross veneer first with a cheap veneer [poplar of the like ] then lay the face veneer the in the direction as the ply grain . that should solve the problem. To prevent cupping yopu will probably need to do the same to both sides of the veneer.

-- mike hide

telegraphing

Reply to
Mike Hide

"what to do" depends on where the lines are coming from.

If it's the grain of the underlying stock, then applying a pore-filler and/or sealcoat before the veneer would seem indicated.

Some experimentation is indicted.

Mebbie use MDO, or even MDF, instead of the birch ply ?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

or better yet, MDO?

charlie b