Plywood prices unpredictable

Yesterday I got a sheet of BC for 26.00 at one lumberyard, went to the job and realized I needed 3 more, went out to a closer lumberyard where they didn't have BC, so I asked what they did have. Which was CDX at 35.00. I hesitatingly asked what AC was, and they said, 37.00! Strange. I also need some 3/8 MDO board (sinage, with the craft paper surface) and figured that cost would be astronomical, but it was only 28.00. Maybe they aren't using BC or MDO in Iraq?

Reply to
BUB 209

I picked up 2 sheets of PG Birch plywood yesterday for $23.95.

Reply to
Leon

Couple of other factors beyond your implication.

1) US is not harvesting at the rate it used to, has closed mills, and operates some with imported veneer.

2) Then there's the sinking dollar.

Guess things will remain volatile.

Reply to
George

Leon,

I went by the local range Borg yesterday, they had lots of sheets of birch ply....made in China.....

Reply to
Rumpty

Twin Cities area Menard's stores are over $45.00 for MDO. I thought that was over priced.

Reply to
Roland Hart

Our BORG still has that Maple/Birch 3/4" veneer core ply for $35. Made in USA. I think the price started out arounfd $29isj, IIRC.

Got two sheets yesterday with some stunning bird's eye and quilting... 'Course the big black streaks kind'a detracted from them, but what the hey...

Reply to
mttt

The CDX uses exterior glue. Better to withstand rain, snow, and shrapnel. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Yeah, this stuff is imported but I have used it on a job last month and it worked out great painted. A tad thinner than 3/4" naturally but 48-1/8" wide and 96-1/8" long and about 10 pr 12 ply.

Reply to
Leon

I wasn't so much complaining about prices in the original message, just stating that they're all over the place. I think the lumberyard where I got the expensive CDX is basically a new home supplier and can afford to stick it to people who come in for a sheet or two. I would have paid over 3 dollars for an 8 foot stud there if I hadn't asked the price first.

Reply to
BUB 209

Understood,, I was just backing up your observation..

Reply to
Leon

How about $82 for alder and $84 for Cherry!!! Insane! And the veneer is more like paper than veneer.

BUB 209 wrote:

Reply to
Bob

It is amazing that folks are paying $84 for a sheet of cherry ply. It would not be so high if people stopped buying it, and selected another kind of (less expensive) ply. Same for gasoline, people keep buying SUVs and large trucks and car-pooling is not even considered an alternative.

Reply to
Phisherman

I was at Harris today to get some wood. I was looking at the price of cherry while I was there and was thinking the same thing. Cherry is fairly plentiful compared to the "exotics" but command a higher price than other woods that would be as available. BUT, people want it and will pay the price.

On the way to the store I was talking about a small table I want to make. My wife says "I'd like cherry, but if you want, you can use another wood." So, don't expect any beg concessions from my house. I did easily convince her that the oak TV stand I made was just as nice as if it was in cherry. Especially since our floor in that room is cherry. The oak give contrast.

FWIW, I do drive a full sized car and average 24 to 25 mpg. I won't buy a car that gets less. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Like say, white oak? I was quoted $120/sheet for PS 3/4" A2 veneercore from my wholesaler:(

Reply to
Eric Ryder

From CT Wood Group

RED OAK - - 3/4" x 48" x 96", plain sliced A-1/VC $ 69.02 3/4" x 48" x 96", rotary cut A-1/VC $ 60.34

WHITE OAK, plain sliced - - 3/4" x 48" x 96" A-1/VC $ 95.14

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski