Okoume Plywood: Please Critique

I picked up some 3/4" okoume plywood at $29.50 a sheet thinking it would be a good choice for that price, but, uh, I'm not quite sure I made a good decision... I'm building a work bench. The plywood has thirteen (13) internal layers plus the two (2) okoume outer layers for a total of fifteen (15) layers. The okoume outer layers are extremely thin, maybe

1/64"...

The plywood is nice and straight, flat, nice to look at (sic) ... But, a cross-sectional view looks very unimpressive (very thin okume layers)...

Can anyone help a rookie tell if this plywood was a good/bad choice? I'm feeling very upset that the okoume is extremely thin... Please help me understand the details of this plywood. Thanks!

Reply to
Tim Hurd

That's the way all veneered plywood is made. I've used oak, cherry, maple, birch, and walnut plywood and that's the norm. You have to be extremely careful not to sand through the veneer, but that's the only real downside.

The piece you got sounds to be very well made - that many internal layers is a good sign. Stuff from the Borg stores generally has much fewer layers (I've had birch ply from them with only 7 layers, including the outer ones, in 3/4" plywood) - so I think you did pretty good.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

It sounds like a good deal for quality ply. 13 layers is impressive at that price, compared to what I get around here.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Tim Hurd schreef

  • + + Okoumé plywood has a very good reputation, at least if it is from the top manufacturers. To be avoided is the kind from China that internally has poplar, with the okoumé only on the outside. PvR
Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

Tim, The more plies, the better - for stability.

Typically, Okoume ply {albeit thinner at 1/4 to 1/2 inch} is used in boatbuilding. The price you paid is about what a 1/4 inch sheet costs.

Be happy !!

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

a work bench. The plywood has thirteen (13) internal layers plus the two (2) okoume outer layers for a total of fifteen (15) layers.

Reply to
Ron Magen