Post oak

I have a small post oak tree in my yard that needs to be removed. It is only about 6 inches in diameter at chest height. I understand that post oak is a type of white oak. Is it reasonable to expect to get any usable wood from it or should I just dry it for firewood.

Dick Durbin Tallahassee

Reply to
Olebiker

You might get some useable wood, if you like short pieces. It's going to twist and warp. Cut it into boards ASAP to keep it from cracking, or split it and steam it when you decide to build that Windsor chair. If you decide to cut into board stock, crib them with weight on top of them. Maybe more wood that you're drying.

If you are a grill-master, then save the limbs. 1"+ limbs cut about

2-3" will add a great smokey flavor. As would Apple wood, Cherry, Hickory, etc.

Tom in KY, Grilling with hardwood chunks, apple and cherry. Mercy dat's some good eatin' !

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

If not used for lumber, before discarding as trash, crosscut some

1&1/2" slices of the trunk and cut some 8"-9" long limbs (3/4"-1' diameter). Drill 3, slightly angled outward, holes in one side of each slice, trim to fit and insert limbs (for legs) and use as 3-legged decorative potplant stands or simple outside stools for kids, if not too rough. For outdoor use, they should last at least a year. Three legged stands or seats will not teeter, even on unlevel surface.
Reply to
Sonny

If you have a bandsaw you really don't have anything to lose but your time and some storage space (and you don't have to make 8' boards out of it, so that can be kept to a minimum).

Slice thin boards, 1/4" to 1/2", and it will be dry/useable a lot quicker.

I've done the same with just 3' long trunk sections of a pear and tulip tree and ended up with some nice accent/secondary wood for the odd project.

Reply to
Swingman