Porch deck material recommends

Replacing old entryway; adding covered porch (~7.5' X 18').

Other porches are just 3" T&G pine painted that has sorta' held up excepting paint is difficult to keep on and they do tend to split/warp some...

Builder suggested cedar; I wonder about being somewhat soft for main trafficway...

Any other suggestions, ideas? I'm not going Trex or the like; I do NOT like that it gets so hot and limber in the sun and while has some cover will have the sun until midday and it's definitely hot well before noon in SW KS...

Are there any of the exotics being pushed as decking now that aren't terribly dark in color? None that come to mind right now aren't...

Suggestions welcomed as well as experiences...

Reply to
dpb

The new brown-toned pressure treated wood - I believe they call it MicroPro Sienna. Better yet but more expensive is "thermally modified " wood. SYP and Northern Ash are both available

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I did not realize you could use charcoal "thermally modified wood" in construction. Does it hold up will? Do you use a special paint?

;-)

2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I used tiger wood for my deck. If you keep some oil on it, looks great. If not, it will turn gray over time. Holds up for decades. Check out

for some ideas of what alternative you have.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

As Clare mentioned and or Ipe. Ipe is a bit pricey but will last for a very long time and does not need to be painted, stained or varnished. It is fire rated but it will eventually burn in a fire place. ;~) The stuff is heavy and hard and is specifically milled for decking.

Leon

The stuff works very well - is insect resistant, doesn't rot, is about 20% less strong than normal wood, and weathers quickly to grey if not sealed and treated. Most thermally modified deck wool is sealed and stained and stands up pretty good. It is exceptionally dimensionally stable.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Personally I prefer Cypress as an alternative to more expensive cedar and very similar in longevity, durability and insect resistance...I have certainly used alot of it here in Florida, but supplies do seem to b dwindling.

Reply to
Bob O'Dell