What Material for a Porch Header?

We are having our porch redone and I am not sure of the material the contractor is using. The header (horizontal beam between the entrance columns) is being replaced and he is using pine. I asked about pressure treated lumber and was told that pressure treated is for a continually exposed area. He explained to me that he intended to wrap the header in aluminum and cover it with soffit?

Is this standard practice as far as you know? No specific types of replacement lumber were in the contract. We are at a point now where it can be un/redone if needed, I'm sure at additional cost. I do not want to address this same issue in 5 more years.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote

Never heard of soffit under a header.

Your house sheathing is not treated plywood, and it will not rot if covered properly with siding. Roof sheathing is not treated lumber. Your wall studs are not treated lumber. As long as the wood is covered/wrapped and properly sealed against water intrusion, you have no worries. A draw back of using treated lumber for headers is, treated lumber shrinks, this could cause rafters to sag a bit in this area over a period of time. Do not force the person to use treated lumber for a header, unless you take the responsibility of what happens afterwards. Treated lumber has it's place, using it as a header is not one of them.

Reply to
Kevin

Reply to
Bill