poplar wood strong enough for hanging?

I'm not sure if this is the right news group...but here it goes. I'm a newbie at doing this stuff.

I want to hang some stuff on a finished garage wall. I was thinking of putting a wood strip, horizontally to hang various items on hooks such as a couple of ladders, garden tools, etc.. mainly it's a support piece in between the studs.

Is 1x2 poplar wood strong enough? I was thinking of attaching this board with 1 or 2 wood screws every 16 or 32 inches on each stud. Is every 32" sufficient? Is 1.5" screw into the wood stud good enough(will add screw length for the wood and drywall)? can I get by with 1" net of screw into the wood stud?

I know 2x4 would do the job....but i was looking for a lower profile board(ie 1") to stick closer to the wall and look perhaps better.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

-joe

Reply to
g20zoom

I usually use a pine 1x4 for such purposes. Pine cheaper than poplar and just about as strong. Put a 3 inch long #10 screw into every stud. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Phew! From the title of your post I thought you were an executioner :-)

To reply by e-mail, use jcarlson631 at yahoo dot com

John

Reply to
John

1x4 or 6x3/4 will do. Use at least 2 2-1/2" screws per stud, or 2 3" nails.

There's no way I would hang a ladder of 1x2 of anything, except aluminium or steel :-)

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

I think he means storing the ladder by hanging it on the wall, not hanging it to climb on.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thanks for everyone's input!

Yeah...hangin a 6' alum and 7' fiberglass ladder. I thought of 1x4 pine...but ladders are bit heavier and I wasn't sure if 4 screws into the upside U type of braket into 3/4" thick pine was sufficient to hold each ladder. Each screw would only have a good bite of say 5/8" into the wood. I have no idea of the holding strength. I could try hanging on it. :) ....maybe not! I'm guessing the fiberglass one is 30 lbs? i should weight it i guess. plus I plan to hang things like shovels and garden tools too.

Peter Huebner wrote:

Reply to
g20zoom

I can't see why you'd bother putting up a board for the ladder hooks. Just run the hooks straight into the studs and be done with it.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Reply to