Plastic Cabinet Legs & Granite Countertop

Seeking advice from the group.

Anyone have any real life experience using these legs for base cabinets supporting granite countertop?

My countertops will be 1 1/4" thick not the lighter 3/4" slabs.

show 450lb/leg rating thus installation pattern...

x x

x x = 1800lb

or... x x

x x = 2250lb

All seems good, but what about real world experience?

Thanks in advance, Drew

Reply to
Drew

I installed my own 1-1/4" granite counter tops. The largest piece was 24" x

9': handled by two people. It was probably in the neighborhood of 325 lbs. I don't recall what the quarry guy told be for lbs/sf but it was no where near the load ratings that you are referring to.

You should be fine.

> Specs show 450lb/leg rating thus installation pattern...

Reply to
Stephen M

Granite weighs 168# per cubic foot. You should be able to handle the math from there.

Reply to
Mike G

just to make a note- those legs are meant to be installed in situations where there is will be no racking forces on them, such as base cabinets that are fastened to a wall. I'd be leery of using them as the only support for an island or a long peninsula.

also, if you are putting a lot of weight on top of the cabinet make sure that the cabinet is designed to transfer the weight to the legs.

yeah, I know, it doesn't answer your question, but others have done that. ; ^ ) Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

All of these base units are to be secured to back wall, even the peninsular plan will be up against a supporting wall for bar top so no shear should involved. I always build for disaster anyway, that is why my question, By spec these leveler/feet should support the weight, and I will design base cabs to transfer all weight to the legs.

No word of warning so far, so I think I will go with this method.

Thanks, Drew

Reply to
Drew