Plans for projects

If you are going to buy a $30,000 CNC router to build your design, you might want to use something else. If you just want to build one set of end tables and nothing else, ever, then just use a pen and pencil. If you enjoy using your computer to do stuff, or, are planing on building more stuff and making more drawings, then, SU is worth spending a few weeks learning to use.

It took me 3, maybe 4 tries before I got a good handle on it's basic use, so I probably have at least several weeks in learning the program.(over a period of several months) It is ,imnsho, not that easy to learn. It IS easy to use once you learn the basics.. You could draw up, and build your two end tables much quicker than learning the basics of SU. On the other hand, once you get the basics down, you can have a ball using your computer to make fantastic, detailed sketches of anything normally built in a home or smallish cabinet shop.

Personally, one of the main reasons my wood shop has not been busy in the past 20 years is I started screwing around with computers, initially I wanted to make cad drawings, and got a copy of Design Cad sometime in the 80's. Spent a few weeks learning it, drew up a barn in a week or two and built it. I could have drawn up the barn on paper and built the thing in much less time than it took me to learn design cad and draw the thing up on my PC XT. Then, I discovered that programing was almost identical to woodworking, in that you could create/build stuff (applications) that did stuff but mistakes were fixed with a few button clicks. My shop fell idle and a new, just as rewarding hobby took over. Now, I'm trying to get back into woodworking, but alas, still have trouble getting past the SU phase of projects.

Reply to
Jack Stein

... were about to start the war of 1812 all over agin...

I've been away. I'm missing a shitload of context from a ton of messages, and this morning I was "almost" dismayed.

The reason was that in coming back into this snakepit, I happened on two of the most respected and talented posters gittin' set to fire howitzers at each other. (I'm north of both of you so there was no worry about collateral damage to my shop, but I did have a concern about 'Merican/Canuckistan relations)

It was with great relief and joy to realize that these two were just claiming that "mine is bigger'n yers" and that all is still right with the woodworking world.

Gawdamned text based messages still can fool me at times.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

LOL ... welcome back! :)

Reply to
Swingman

...well... mine *is* bigger...(metric..bigger numbers)

Welcome back.

Reply to
Robatoy

Thanks to both of you. Once I get through the 999 unread messages, maybe I'll be able to come up with some more questions that'll make everyone's eyes roll back into their heads.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

If you were 'away', in the same way as many Canuckistanis are 'away' in Florida and Arizona this time of year..well.. you've come back too soon. *S*

Reply to
Robatoy