Need bathroom vanity plan suggestion

Hi all,

We have just re-tiled our bathroom and am in need to replace the vanity (the old one is now in the landfill). We have been shopping around but cannot quite find what we like, so I am considering building something.

Does anyone know a good source for plans for bathroom vanities? The size I am looking to replace is 36" x 21".

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Yost

Ed - This seems like an innocent question, so I will save the shit blasting you will get from the group vultures by telling you NICELY:

1) there are lots of free plans on the net

2) no one here has any idea what your style of house cabinets are now; how could someone suggest a compatible plan?

3) you didn't specify stain or paint grade

4) no one knows your skill level - how could anyone make a plan suggestion when no one knows what you can do?

5) can you make a door? What type/style?

6) no one knows your wife - what does she expect?

It goes on. This is kind of like saying "hey, I chunked my old computer and want to build one. Anyone got plans?"

Go to the library or search online. There are great books in the library that detail simple case/carcass construction. Used book stores, new bookstores, etc. have them... there is literally more printed info than you can process on the subject.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Yeah, I suppose my post was a bit lean.

Unfortunately due to our small bathroom, the vanity needs to be small. We like raised panel doors with natural cherry. Just a standard traditional would be fine. I did some digging on the net but couldn't find anything to fit the bill.

I have a table saw, router, bandsaw, etc. and with plans that would get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for the help.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Yost

Ed Yost wrote:

Consider drawing your own plans? All you need is a pad of squared paper, an architect's scale and a sharp pencil. And an eraser. You want to draw three views (front, side and top) to scale. Pick the largest scale that will fit the project onto the paper. For a project with a longest dimension of 36" going onto an A sized (8 1/2"*11") sheet of paper, you want a 4:1 or 3" to the foot scale. Assume you are using nominal 1" (3/4" actual) thickness stock and draw both the inside and outside of the cabinet in the front view. Label the major dimensions and count the paper squares to make sure the drawing is really to scale. For instance, at 3" to the foot, on paper with 1/4" squares, the 36" dimension should be 36 squares long if correctly drawn. Decide on your type of joint (butt, dado, dovetail, mortise and tenon, whatever) and decide how long each piece of wood need be. For instance with butt joints two sides will be the full dimension of the finished piece and two will be shorter. For shelves set into dados, the length of the shelf pieces will be somewhat less that the outside width of the cabinet. Decide how the door works, either it fits over the cabinet (like a refridgerator door) or it is set into the opening in the front of the cabinet (like a closet door). It is either a solid slab of something, or a rectangular frame with a panel set into a dado on the inside of the frame. Pick a hinge style and draw where the hinges go, and the size of any required mortises or cutouts. Draw the door[s] onto the plans. Check that all three views agree with each other on dimensions. Then start cutting. Good luck

David Starr

Reply to
David Starr

Most vanities are pretty basic. It's just a big box with a pair of whatever doors you like. Go to Lowes or Home Depot to get a design idea.

They are all pretty much the same.

You can get crazy with materials but baths are pretty tough on everything and cherry would be no exception.

I would say one sheet of plywood and a couple of doors and you are done.

Ed Yost wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Might want to take a look at

that go through the architectural section at your local library and bookstores and any architectural photos you can find on the photo sites until you see something you like, and then use it as a model.

Reply to
J. Clarke