Vanity Unit - bathroom

Basically we have a bathroom basin that looks as such

our bathroom - behind the long bit holding it up we have soem pipes and the wall needs re-tiling

Another problem is that we have is that water splashed out and goes onto the floor (our basin is near a wall but not quite touching - the otherside has the bath near it so water does't overflow on that side much.

Now the guy we had aroudn for a quote to retile suggested a vanity unit. The idea being that the wood would cover up the area that needs tiling (it would fit flush into the corner/wall) and also if the sink is sort of inside the unit then the water will not come out.

Great I thought

Only problem is I don't wnat to (Can;t afford) a fortune on an expensive unit and i wnat to keep hold of the basin as I have just spent soem cash putting new taps on it (and it looks nice/new)

So I wonder, is it hard to get a custom made unit? Or are there any decent units that can take 'any' basins?

I imagine the actual rectangular box shape building of the unit won;t be hard but getting a way of putting in the basin will be - how owudl you go about doing that?

Also if we have the vanity unit, it removes the bit holding the basin up so we can use for storage which is also a plus point!

Whats the best way aorund this?

Hope that makes sense!

Reply to
mo

> In our bathroom - behind the long bit holding it up we have soem pipes and

Don't know of a unit that fits around a pedestal basin. Well, nothing that will make the basin look nice. You could ask a joiner / carpenter to make you something bespoke, that might look good.

Reply to
BigWallop

Not sure how well your existing basin might rest on a vanity unit, although bowls sitting atop of the worktop is very much the "in" thing today.

Fitted bathroom furniture is both very expensive, and very crap quality. After looking at some, I decided to make mine out of IKEA kitchen units.

4 units are actually wall cupboards, cut down to 20cm deep to match the inset basin. I think all 4 units, doors, end panel, and worktop (which is actually a white door from another range, going for about £1 because someone damaged it) came in at about £60, nearly an order of magnitude less than the equivalent bathroom furniture.

I found another picture of it after finishing the grouting and painting, but it doesn't show much of the units (more of the boiler).

Andrew Gabriel

And very nice it looks too.

Reply to
BigWallop

Nice job cutting around the basin shape at the front, how did you do it? Template?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It came with a large paper template. The timber actually goes behind the front piece, so you can't see the timber edge. There's supposed to be a bead of silicone to make it look like the basin outer goes straight through the timber, but I didn't put that in at the time thinking I might want to remove that panel once or twice more whilst fitting other bits, and I never got round to it.

Everything in that bathroom is pretty bog standard and thus cheap. The basin was an exception -- I wanted a full size bowl with minimum projection possible, and that's a special short projection one. The tap is to the side so the basin bowl goes right back to the wall. The other things I splashed out on a little bit more than plain basic ones were the taps, and a Kawaldi pressed steel bath. Also (not in view) there's a very nice thermostatic shower mixer which I bought very cheaply in a sale a few years beforehand, and it had been sitting on a shelf since then waiting for me to get around to redoing the bathroom. (When I did get round to it, I found a bit of the shower was missing, but Gainsborough were still perfectly happy to send it to me for free.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

See post above: "making a curved template".

The technique described can be used in multiple dimensions with a bit of patience. You might need to knock up a dummy carcase out of 2"x1" timber to hold the bowl in the right position in order to take the initial measurements and then try out the cardboard/hardboard templates. Don't forget to allow for the thickness of the final worktop and front panel.

If the template ends up with too big a gap, don't abandon it and start from scratch, just glue (prit stick, copydex etc) some more bits of card on until you have the right shape.

David

Reply to
DavidM

I like the vanity cabinets from bathroom and kitchen guide. You can check it out, just google search their website.

Lobster;1445401 Wrote:

Reply to
kitchenkaylie