Planes

Andy Dingley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And pretty much negates most of the plane tuning that you might have done. The work HAS to remain steady for the plane to do it's job.

Unless you pull the plane, in the Asian style. But that's another story.

Benches needn't be pretty, expensive, or of heirloom quality (not that it hurts), but they do need to be rigid. And mass helps.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

"oh"...sorry... squaring the entire cutting end, dude. This is if the old blade is like, cutting edge is convex, or rounded outwards like a scrub plane blade. I hold down the whole blade with my left hand an then, straight into the cutting edge, I file it flat_to_square. So that all three sides are squared. Sides to cutting edge and cutting edge to sides. Does that make sense now? Let me know.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

And definitely definitely FLAT!

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Hmmmm. If the plane's dull and your foot's not on the lower step, maybe. Or maybe you have to be my mass to do the the trick?

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet" Andy Dingley wrote in

Reply to
George

blade is like, cutting

the whole blade

flat_to_square. So that all

Does that make sense

Thanks for making the effort. So when you are done with the file, there is basically no beveled edge or very little left and then you re-establish the bevel with sharpening?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

No, I don't think putting any amount of weight on the lower step will help. The frame just isn't rigid against side-to-side racking. The step might be stable, but the top will be waving about. It's a bit more rigid front-to-back, so they are usable for sawing.

A Workmate is also too short for many planing jobs.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The round is never more than 3/32" to 1/8" out, then back to the scary sharp. For that much flat on the cutting edge I will use 100 grit to re-establish the bevel.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Reply to
George

FWW #172 (October 2004) p.36 - the one with the bar clamps on the cover

Reply to
Daniel H

Hello again Sam,

I've got a old Bailey plane that I found down in my dad's basement, all covered in rust. I couldn't get the thing to work no matter what I did, even though I read every article I could find, and spent hour after hour trying different things. I figured it was just a peice of junk, and I wanted to toss it out and buy a new one. But then I took a woodworking class (in your case, you may want to just find a teacher or friend who knows how to do it) and the instructor showed me how to set it up and use it properly in about 25 minutes. Now it works great! Sometimes what you need isn't a new tool- it's just a helping hand from someone who is in the same room with you to show you how it all works.

Good Luck!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus