Workshop Communication

Hi,

Lately, I have started to call the 2' x 4' area at the back of the garage my workshop.. sad eh.. anyways, you gotta start somewhere! I was wondering if, as I am an out-doorsy person, it would be a good idea to have a Walkie Talkie in the "Workshop" possibly attached to the wall, or take my mobile in with me..

Ta.

Cheers,

Sam

Reply to
Sam Berlyn

Tue, Nov 16, 2004, 8:45pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Sam=A0Berlyn) says: I was wondering if, as I am an out-doorsy person, it would be a good idea to have a Walkie Talkie in the "Workshop" possibly attached to the wall, or take my mobile in with me..

No, I'm not planning on calling.

JOAT Any plan is bad which is incapable of modification.

- Publilius Syrus

Reply to
J T

it's a double edged sword.

being startled at the wrong time by the phone could cost you a finger, or an eye, or an expensive bit of wood.

not being reachable could cost you a job, or dinner, or snuggle time with your sweetie.

Reply to
bridger

Two suggestions:

Turn the ringer volume down.

Find an old Western Electric phone that uses actual bells to signal you. The mechanical bells have a smooth, pleasing sound, especially when turned down low.

If a low mechanical ringing startles you enough to flinch, professional help may be a start.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Gotta agree with Barry on the mechanical ringer versus the electronic. I've had that bell-ringer in my shop since I've built it and have never been "surprised" by it whenever it rings. Guess it's because it's what we grew up with and are accustomed to that makes the difference.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

For a phone with a 'real bell' ringer, there is a real simple way to

*really* civilize it.

Take the cover off the phone, and remove _one_ of the two bells, and re-assemble the phone.

It is simply *amazing* how 'ignorable' the ringing is, once you've done that.

Note: WE (and the other telephone manufacturers) *deliberately* picked the two (different!) frequencies that the bells ring at -- so that the combination produces an 'anxiety'/'urgency' effect.

Those old wind-up alarm clocks, with the two bells on top -- same story.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

we have a set of those 5.whatever gig cordless phones that also work as pagers/intercoms.. I turn off the ringer and put it where I can glance at it once in a while.. the orange screen lights up when it rings and flashes if you have a message.. (I also have my cell phone in my pocket, out of habit..

Reply to
mac davis

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:06:55 GMT, Ba r r y calmly ranted:

I've been dismantling phones and modems to tape toilet paper over the piezoelectric speakers for two decades now. 6 layers with 2 layers of magic mending tape works juuuuust right.

  • OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design
  • meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos
  • "death by music" *
Larry Jaques

Remember WHEN they chose the sound. When a less urgent sound was the cow's bell as it moved across the back yard.

I'll bet most of us who grew up with mechanical ringers now find them soothing compared to electronic versions, as they remind us of simpler times.

For about 4 years I had an extremely high stress job where we had a certain model of AT&T electronic multi-line phone. A local department store has the same phone system. I've been out of the high-stress position since 1997. When the phones in the store ring, my anxiety level instantly jumps!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y