PING Renata re: lacquer supplier

I didn't know if you were still following the old thread. This is my favorite product right now. The company is big enough to give great service and stand by their product, but small enough that the owner (Dave) is available when you need him. His wife answers the phone, and his daughter is a technician there.

They developed their product as refinishers, and it is actually a pretty unique product. I haven't ever had it fail, nor have I had any problems with it. Even with shipping they can be competitive in most cases with paint store vendor prices.

Their products are on this page, and the next page has the same products in 5's. BTW, if you buy anything that is solvent based that is shipped remember that you will pay a hazmat fee of $50. One quart is exempt, but a gallon, you pay. But it is the same hazmat fee for

10 gallons as it is for 1, so keep that in mind when ordering. Also, their custom blend stripper is the best I have ever used - period. NOTHING is close to how well that stuff works. I used about 10 gallons of it last year, and this is where their refinishing roots show - it will dissolve multiple coats of poly with little problems.

Once past the hazmat/shipping part (always ask if another gallon of this or that will actually add to the shipping) of the invoice, try out his thinners and retarders as they are top flight virgin mix products.

If you decide to order from them, call them, ask for Dave and tell him the exact problem you are having, what you are trying to do (think refinishing) and he will put you onto the correct product. His personality is as dry as a piece of toast, but he knows every nuance of his product.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

am i missingsomething or did you not post the name of your favorite company?

Reply to
eag111

What? You can't read minds?

I think maybe it's too much time around the solvent.

Thanks for the heads up.

Here's the link:

nailshooter41

Danke!!

Will call today.

I am going to implement your 3 part formula for the initial coat (BLO, turp, shellac).

I am going to switch to a non water based lacquer for the finish.

BTW, I've been using a pre cat lacquer, but water based, from Hydrcote, called Resithane. Like ya'll, I've been happy with the end result, etc. (after I got over a few hurdles), but it in not getting along on the solid walnut (handles) that's been BLO'd.

Much thanks (again and again - you have been inVALuable!!)!!

Renata

Reply to
Renata