I can't find it! a random lament

An experience I have all too frequently is buying something I already own. And using it before I discover that I had it already. And I spend far too many hours searching for things I know I have, only to have them turn up months later...

The other day I was looking for something (I forget what) and I came upon a heavy duty two-prong plug. A few ago I went to several hardware stores looking for a heavy-duty two-prong (no ground) plug to replace a broken plug on a vacuum cleaner. I ended up buying a three-prong plug and sticking an adapter on it. On Saturday I was looking through my shop for something else (I forget what) and I found a never-used heavy-duty two-prong plug.

A few weeks ago I used a self-centering drill bit (a Vix bit) that I'd had for years in a clear plastic case. When I was done, I couldn't find the case--even though I had had it just an hour before. A few days later I found the case and now I can't find the bit. I've turned my shop over looking for it. Still no bit. I had to buy a new one.

A few months before that I'd been using a porter-cable orbital sander hooked up to a vacuum cleaner for dust collection. When I went to put the built-in dust collector back on the sander, I couldn't find it. A few weeks later I found the dust collector, and now I can't find the sander. This is the first time I've mislaid something that big.

It's not a tool, but I bought a lawn sprinker to replace one that broke. Two days later I found the even better lawn sprinkler I'd bought last year on sale, to be prepared for when one broke....

It goes on and on...

I guess I should clean up my shop.

Reply to
eag111

I'm sorry you have to go through that, and I'm glad I'm not the only one. Misery does love company.

Seems like every hour I spend in the shop consists of 55 minutes looking for 'whatever' and 5 minutes doing the job. Everything has a place and nothing's in it.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

should clean up my shop.

you have the perfect opportunity here to build yourself a bunch in rolling cabinets with drawers.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

- I guess I should clean up my shop.

I'll clean my shop as soon as I find it. I'd swear I just used it the other day.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Recently, I was at the Borg, looking for a replacement bulb. I couldn't seem to remember the word Halogen. The associate said I had a case of CRS. ( Can't Remember Sh_t). Gray hair will do that to you. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

dont worry! soon it will advance to craft ! cant remember a F#$KIN THING! :-]>

SKEEZ

Reply to
skeez

Oh it's grand when the things that you can't do without have at last got so hopelessly strayed that regardless of where you start rooting about, you will hit upon one you'd mislaid.

=== Piet Hein, "Within Reach" _Grooks 4_

Reply to
whit3rd

Just the other day I went to open a safe that I have opened at least once a week for the last 11 years. I could remember the first and the last of the 4 numbers to the combination, but it took about 30 minutes of walking away and doing something else before the middle 2 numbers came back to me.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

Now where did that cabinet go?

Reply to
darkon

Won't help now, but I've developed a habit - when I can't find something, and eventually I _do_ find it, I put it in the first place I looked for it.

Over time everything ends up where your subconcious thinks it is, so the next time you find it quicker.

FWIW Mike

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

I shouldn't laugh; I worry about that very thing every time I step touch the combination dial. But I DO have it written down and kept in a SAFE place. Uh, that probably won't help.

Reply to
Dave in Houston

I had some floor space for a cabinet lying around here somewhere.......

jc

Reply to
Joe

I usually put it back in the last place that I found it because chances are, if I found it there once, I'm going to find it there again.

Reply to
efgh

Holy cow, you can remember what the first place you looked was???????

I am truly impressed.

jc

Reply to
Joe

I work off the "What was I doing the last time I used it" principle.

Reply to
Nova

| I guess I should clean up my shop.

Me too - as soon as I can find my glasses and a broom...

Morris Dovey

" snipped-for-privacy@aolnojunk.com" wrote

It won't help. It's the inanimate objects. They aren't really inanimate. I discovered that with extension cords. No matter how carefully I position them they will become entangled and it doesn't matter where you put things; they have a way of moving to another location. You just have to learn to live with it.

Max

Reply to
Max

That explains a lot. I found your case behind my router last week. Couldn't figure out what in the heck it was for.

Just checked... it's gone again...

Reply to
William D McQuain

I hope it's not in the safe.

Reply to
Vidkid26

Tue, Aug 21, 2007, 7:57am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com ( snipped-for-privacy@aolnojunk.com) doth lament thusly: And I spend far too many hours searching for things I know I have, only to have them turn up months later...

No prob. I've got it all figured out. When I was younger I could concentrate on half dozen for more projects at a time, switching from one to another, with no problem. But, now that I'm older, my concentration has greatly increased. I think of it along the lines of a dozen or more railroad tracks, side by side. There I am, zipping along in an engine, concentrating on something, and disregarding all else. Then something comes along and distracts me, someone asking something like, "Are you busy?", springs to mind. Then, because the concentration is so intense, the sudden reaction is like jumping to another track entiredly. Your train of thought is lost. Then no matter how hard you try, you may not get a branch line taking you back to your original track for days, weeks, months, and on occassion, never. So you can stop blaming it on old age, and now you can blame it on your intense concentration. Simple. No prob. What was I talking about?

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T