Ping Leon...What's Swingman Up To?

I was using the dado set he gave me a bunch of years ago and got wondering if he was OK. Have you heard from him recently?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Actually I have not heard from him recently, so to speak. Last year and earlier this year he was still waiting on "Arkansas Speed" construction workers that were repairing the storm damage that knocked down a bunch of huge trees. Hs is slowly redoing his down sized shop. Some time about 6~8 months ago he sold his house in Houston although he and his dog have been living in their Arkansas house for the past 4~5 years. I think his wife is still living and renting an apartment in Houston.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks. I always appreciated his advice and ideas (As I do with yours).

I was using the Amanda dado set that he gave me for the price of shipping. I made 2 gates this weekend and used the dado set for one of them. I'll update my gate thread with pictures soon.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, I recall The Amanna set. He was sold on the Freud dial set that replaced that one. I still prefer to use shims. The dial is slightly faster, I think. But you have to still do test cuts and sneak up on the fit.

I'll likely be rebuilding my gate. My son's dogs pushed their way through the one that the builder installed when we moved in 11 years ago. I'll be using that gate kit I gave you a link to.

Reply to
Leon

Given enough money there are a bunch of solutions that may not require cut-n-try.

A Kerf Master works great for normal sized dados (a *lot* cheaper than I bought them for):

For shelves and such:
For pretty much any width dado:
This works pretty well, though not in the catalog and may need a little cut and try:

krw

I'm confused by the instructions on page 4. ;-)

"Second cut: Position KM-1 between your stock and a damped stop. Cut your first shoulder.

Second cut: Flip the KM-1 over which will move your stock the appropriate distance. Make second shoulder cut."

I'd be more comfortable making a first and second cut as opposed to two second cuts. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Measure once. Cut twice?

Reply to
krw

I cut it twice and it's still too short.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

This tool works well but you need to watch a video for a better explanation of how it actually works, and setting it up for the with of cut your bit or blade/blades make. And now there are countless videos that show how to make a simpler version of the kerfmaker.

Bridge City Tools was bought out several years ago, 3~5 IIRC. And IIRC they are now owned by an Asian based company, Harvey Tool?

Reply to
Leon

OMG!!! Harvey/BridgeCity is giving WoodPecker a run for their money on over engineered half baked designs.

Leon

I'm not surprised to hear about the Asian buy-out. While reading some of the text descriptions of their tools, I noticed a few phrases that did not appear to be translated very smoothly. Phrasing like the following is a typical indication of an Asian (or at least not US-based) company.

"We are confident that the Compass RG-1 and RG-2 will be your lovely buddies for your safe and enjoyable woodworking."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Just a featherboard? At least the JessEm functions on both axis.

Reply to
krw

There is a Chinese version for something like 1/3 the price. At that point, it's hardly worth building one.

Reply to
krw

Chinglish.

Reply to
krw

Not that there's anything wrong with having a couple of more lovely buddies.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Not sure how some lovelies are going to make working in the shop safer. More enjoyable, perhaps, but safer?

Reply to
krw

And no limit to width if you are talking about the Jessem Clear cut device.

Reply to
Leon

Well the BCT version is probably Chinese now. ;~)

I think you are probably taking about the BangGood brand.

Reply to
Leon

Good point.

Reply to
krw

Kinda, sorta, but that was almost my point.

Yes. Banggood has a pile of Woodpecker knock-offs (right down to the color) too, if you're into Chinese knock-offs.

Reply to
krw