Part for Router Table

I'm looking for a miter gage for a old Sears Router Table model #171.254790. Anyone know where I can get one?

Reply to
Ed

No.

BUT if you need to make cuts 90 degrees to the fence simply use a square piece of plywood to push your work through. It also backs the cut so there is little to no tear out. Being a woodworker since the 70's I have never used a miter gauge on a router table.

Reply to
Leon

I'm trying to think of an application for a miter gauge on a router table. I suppose a sled could be considered a miter gauge. Then again, it is from Sears.

Reply to
krw

I never quite understood the miter slot myself.

Reply to
Leon

To use a sled, much like on a shaper table.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I found this gem out on the ole interwebs...

"I use mine on a daily basis. The t-bar works perfectly as a shoe horn and in the summer time, if you slide the t-bar under the door to the shop, the miter fence prevents the wind from slamming the door shut. Kinda like a door stop, but with the convenience of holding your door open at precise angles. :laughing: (where do I come up with this stuff? :wink:"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I made two Miter gages for my router table. Both to be able to accurately cut end grain cuts. One was for an interlocking corner bit.

I both were made similarly. Since the slot of the Sears table is shallow. I glued and screwed two pieces of 1 X 2 in a "T" shape, and attached the runner bar to the bottom of the stem of the "T".

Reply to
knuttle

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Dados and Rebates, Rabbits, Rabbets?

I found a use for the miter gauge storage on my router table but now I have to go out to the shop to get the dictionary and remind myself how to spell that word!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Real rabbits have eyes/I's. Wood working rabbets have E's

A Rebate is a rabbet and I think this is a regional thang.

Dado, a grove across the grain, otherwise it is a groove.

Reply to
Leon

I believe the 'rebate' spelling is a UK thing.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Scott Lurndal

Fence, too much blood, fence

I really can't imagine a reason dadoes or rabbets would need a miter gauge or, really, how it could even be used.

Reply to
krw

Region, as in UK/US? I've never hear "rebate" in the US. Maybe some old-schoolers.

What is it in plywood? MDF?

Reply to
krw

Rebate is the most vital thing in wood working, as it lowers the cost of expensive wood and tools

Reply to
knuttle

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What it would be good for is locking the gauge at 0/90 then using it to push through a board that's larger than the table. So let's say you want a bookcase and buy two 1x12x4s from the hardware store. Uncle Joe left his Router Table to you and you have no other tools. You could lock the miter gauge and use it to make your assorted groves to hold the other shelf boards.

Are there numerous better ways to do this? Yes. Does that stop a tool manufacturer from adding the feature and trying to sell it as the best thing since someone discovered eating cures hunger?

Of course such a manufacturer probably will give you a miter gauge that wiggles and jiggles no matter what you do to it. They don't actually expect you to *use* the tool, just *buy it*.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Are you going to use the router table as a saw, too? Is a 90-degree miter gauge a "miter" gauge? I guess Woodpeckers thinks it is.

...or a manufacturer/retailer doesn't know anything about what they're selling. Or perhaps the customer doesn't either and will choose the one with more features?

The issue is really how you'd use it and why people add it to their table. Having not really thought about it until now, I would have too on my next table. It's not a big deal but why?

Reply to
krw

Here's a possible reason...

I *thought* about putting one in the router table top I added to my table saw. Mostly because just about all of the vendors include one. Kreg, Rockler, JessEm, MLCS, etc.

I decide to wait, telling myself that if I ever really needed it, it wouldn't take but a few minutes to rout the slot and drop some T-track in. It's been a few years and I haven't needed it yet, but the option is still there.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Plywood? The same rule applies. MDF, it is a groove.

Reply to
Leon

If the board is bigger than the router table the miter gauge may not reach the miter slot. Still much simpler to take a square piece of

3/4" plywood to set against the fence and push the work through.
Reply to
Leon

Well, what do you call a regular miter gauge that is set to cut at 90 degrees?

Woodpeckers sells a single angle miter gauge.

I looked up the definition and the answers are all over the place. Some definitions indicate a miter cut results in 2 pieces of wood coming together at a 90 degree angle. So that could be 90 degrees, a butt joint, or 45 degrees. I wonder what they call a miter gauge set to cut pieces to form an octagon.

Bingo!

Reply to
Leon