Part for Router Table

So I do not use a shaper and I will assume that it offers a different set of issues over a regular router table.

But with a square scrap of plywood, not a dedicated sled, to push the work through you want the cutters to cut into the scrap to back up the cut and reduce tear out.

Reply to
Leon

You do with a sled, too. Part of the sled is sacrificial and replaceable. It's a lot more expensive than a scrap of plywood, though.

I like your method better than a sled except for the hold down, actually. Not as pretty but cheaper/better. A push block and bit guard solves these problem all way around (push, angle, tear-out, hold-down, and fingers into sharp spinning metal). As a bonus, it gets rid of scrap plywood laying around the shop.

Reply to
krw

I reccomend what ever makes you feel the safest. In my case my router table fence has a guard that fits over the bit, just in case.

Reply to
Leon

Belt and suspenders.

Reply to
krw

Or a slightly wider rail, ripped to final size after shaping/routing. Or use scrap rail stock to back the cut.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal