Ping: Leon! Leveling Feet

What leveling feet were you bragging about a while back?

I may be building a fairly long banquette bench for a client and figured I might need them if the floor's not perfectly flat.

Reply to
-MIKE-

These are the levelers that Leon recommended for my bookcase project, but unfortunately the link is no longer valid:

The current options at Woodworker's Hardware are these:

The main (visual) difference between the bracketed levelers that Leon suggested and the current option is that the older ones used a Allen wrench to adjust them while the current version requires a screwdriver.

Given the choice, I'd prefer an Allen wrench, especially for a heavy piece. A more secure connection, more torque, etc.

I recall that Leon sometimes mounts a cut-off Allen wrench in his (Festool?) drill. I mounted mine in a small ratchet handle. Seems like a screwdriver slot could be less convenient.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The screwdriver slot probably costs less to produce as there's less metal required and simpler machining - probably less than $0.01 per piece difference to produce but it does improve the bottom line when you're dealing in thousands of pieces.

At least it has the nut at the bottom IF you can get to that nut - otherwise someone is asking "What nut put this together to make it hard to adjust?"

These work well for cabinets but I don't know about a bench.

Reply to
krw

Thanks for the ECON-101 lesson.

Hey professor! What's the impact on the bottom line when you factor in how many fewer pieces they sell after they cheapen the product?

On any piece I've used them on the nut is not accessible. I drill a hole in the bottom of the cabinet for the Allen wrench.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They almost never make a negative assumption about cost cutting. Something about an elephant in the room?

Excellent way to make the adjustment available.

Mike,

These look very much like the ones we've used in the past:

DerbyDad03

But they do make mistakes.

Considering that there are Allen wrench options available, albeit at a higher cost, (maybe because they are better?) Woodworkers Hardware has lost at least one customer for that item. Me.

I won't be surprised if they lost 3: Me, Leon and Mike.

DerbyDad03

Sorry, I have been out of town.

These,

Leon