used fay egan lathe on cl

lathe/6908082793.html

Any Thoughts? Good buy or not. I've been looking for awhile to get a used lathe. Thanks

Reply to
sawdustmaker

$365. Not exactly a steal. Not an awful price either. I know some of the ancient museum tool collectors will scream about how everything was better in the olden days. And I suspect maybe a few things were. But the Chines e versions of this same lathe today is OK too. Evil Harbor Freight has abo ut the same lathe for $400 right now. Jet, Grizzly and all the other Chine se tool companies make the same lathes for similar prices. All are OK. Th is old lathe does require 220 volt for the included phase converter. For m any that is OK. But for those with only 110 volt outlets, not good. Lathe s are really simple machines. Its almost hard to get a bad lathe. They sp in the wood using pulleys to regulate speed. Simple. Kind of like drill p resses. Hard to get a bad drill press. I know bearings can be bad. But t hose should not be too difficult to replace and cheap. This size lathe, 12 x36 is the old time standard. Perfect for making baseball bats and tool ha ndles and stair stringers.

Again, $365 is an OK price. Some of that $365 is a premium for buying a hi storic museum piece that old time tool restorers love. Its not a bargain o r a steal. Its FULL fair value market price.

Reply to
russellseaton1

[...]

I assume you mean stair balusters.

Making stairs stringers on a lathe sounds really dangerous. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

[...]

Yeah it would be hard to turn 90 degree cuts on stair stringers. Balusters . The vertical pickets making the cage between the steps and the rail.

Reply to
russellseaton1